1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The mouse problem..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Apr 28, 2012.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So I go out to the shed to get a tin of fish to share with the cat for lunch, and I glance into the local council issue recycling stacker box and notice the wet bedraggled corpse of a mouse lying in the corner. 'OK' thinks I, 'Mouse jumped in the box, couldn't climb the sides, died of exposure overnight during the rain, now needs disposing of with a rubber glove'. So I don a rubber glove, grab the late mouse's back leg to pick it up and it doesn't budge. It's somehow stuck to the box. 'Eurgh' thinks I, the cat's had it, mashed its head, dumped it in the box (how I don't know) and now the resulting ex-head goo is stuck to the box' so I pull a little harder. No result.

Closer examination reveals little bits of box plastic around the corpse. 'Aha!' thinks I (never having seen a single episode of CSI MIami) 'The mouse became trapped in the box and tried to gnaw its way out by enlarging the drainage hole in the corner of the box, but failed and died of exposure in the rain'. A quick examination of the underside of the box reveals the mouse's head poking out through an enlarged drainage hole. And it's well and truly stuck.

So readers, I have a perfectly good plastic recycling box with a dead mouse well and truly stuck by the head in a failed escape hole of its own making.

What do I do next? All suggestions, however silly, most welcome.

2. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Sell it to Tate Modern as an art piece in the style of Damien Hirst

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Defo recycle recycle box and get a new one - dang the carbon footprint, you are recycling both plastic and eurgh..................remains etc.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Call it 'Art' as in Damien Hirst style, and offer to put it on display at a local art gallery! (Well you<u> did</u> say silly!)

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just don your marigolds and use ablunt stick to poke its head back through .put mouse in bag and into bin and then wash box..easy////one useful box again!

6. Awww...is it pathetic of me to feel for that poor little creature dying a horrible death? I think of it's valiant efforts to escape....and how it must have struggled as it failed to get through the hole....[​IMG]
    Poor thing.
    I know they are pests but I don't mind little creatures (pests or not) doing their own thing as long as they don't become pests in the house. I am the woman who picks up mice who get into the house (usually a present from the cat who wants to play with them) and finds a nice dark and cosy place at the end of the garden for them to scurry off into....
    Sorry your plastic box has a hole in it MSB...and sorry you had to play funeral attendant who cannot get at the corpse. I think I'd be temped to stick the box at the end of the garden and let the little mousey <strike>cadaver</strike> carcass decay back into the earth....
    I mean....how else do you extricate dead mousey? You'd have to do something drastic like cut his head off......
    Oh no!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. magic surf bus

Or maybe a huge cartoon mallet as in Tom & Jerry?

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

1) Pull off dead mouse and place in kitty's bowl....s/he is waiting for lunch!
    2) pin mouse head to wall of shed as a warning to other foolish mice
    3) Take corpse to a taxidermist to be cleaned and stuffed and made into a nice toy for the cat.
    4) Do you have offspring?....remove corpse from plastic box and place under bed of teenager....scream loudly...when teenager comes in yell "I told you to clean up your room....just look...your squalor has encouraged rats!"...force teenager to clean whole house as punishment!
    5) Take mouse corpse into school....place somewhere where it will be found by the Head just as you are due to teach bottom set year 10 (or whatever class you wish to miss!) - hopefully Head will close school for the rest of the day (or longer?!!!) whilst investigating.

9. magic surf bus

Stop it Arched Eyebrow, please... [sniff]. I feel the need to order flowers and compose a eulogy now.

10. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Bethanie - you are a tonic - such wonderful creativity !!!!!!!! Wasted on here my girl [​IMG]

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

less of the old..she is a sexy woman when i immagine her in her basque! x ..wonder if she is sexy ot of the basque?[​IMG]

12. Oddly enough, this is exactly what I though as I read MSB's OP, Archey.
    We must be a pair of right old softies. :)
    p.s. sorry about your box, MSB.

13. Oh well done MSB.... x x x That was the humane thing to do - even though the little creature had popped his clogs.
    I am relieved....
    Now, order of service...music, readings, flowers for the little grave...?
    [​IMG]

14. Yeah but Dozy, this was a REAL mouse, albeit a dead mouse. (I think T&J is a great cartoon btw [​IMG])
    In real life we don't flatten with frying pans, blow up, or set fire to things with feelings.
    I know this particular 'thing' didn't have feelings any more, and I know I am stupidly soft and sentimental, but I actually feel so much better that MSB has done the decent thing...Circle of life and all that.
    Eeek...sorry for being serious...but all's well that ends well...or rather....ends very badly for a mouse trying to knaw a big enough hole in a plastic box to give him an escape route - and failing. [​IMG]
    <strike>Valiant little thing....</strike> *hits self with mallet in order to gain sense of perspective*

15. magic surf bus

I have a strangely ambivalent attitude to mice, probably due to once owning a hamster.

If mice get into my house or into the engine compartment of my camper van then death will follow swiftly in the form of a baited trap.

If I find the cat toying with one in the garden I will do my best to shoo the cat off and get it to safety so it can take it's chance with nature (and make the right behaviour choices regarding my house or my camper van).

I suppose it's about wanting them to know their limits, despite them not living by human rules and values.

16. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

I agree - as an owner of nine beautiful ratties, I feel very sorry for the mouse. x

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

The mice we sometimes get in our old house are anything but timorous and cowering. I've had one run across my feet as I sat at the computer, crawl into bed with me to die [imagine the shock when I found it, dear reader] and engage in manic alpha-male duets across the floor.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

sorry