1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The most significant project I've seen in Secondary Maths for years...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Jul 5, 2015.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

http://www.greatmathsteachingideas.com/2015/07/03/the-problem-with-levels/

This guy understands the idiocy of Levels, and rather than blindly following a pre-defined SoW and complaining that the students 'haven't been properly prepared for it' by his Primaries, is actively changing something that is directly in his control (the Year 7 / KS3 SoW) to meet the actual needs of his students. And he's implemented it efficiently, at a good scale, and in a reasonably rigorous manner.

This guy's succeeded in doing exactly what I failed to achieve several year ago. Well done to him.

I think and hope it will become a commonplace approach in some years' time.

MMT

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You're right MMT, that post does contain a lot of valuable stuff and appetisers!

I'm going to find out about that QuickKey for a start! Love that idea!!!!!

3. headofmaths

headofmaths New commenter

Agree, Quickkey looks really interesting, and this is exactly what I was saying about my GCSE class recently that we are teaching higher level work when the foundations are shaky at best.

4. This looks like a nice project for R.

Thanks.

(I've been looking for a fairly unique data set idea for a while).