1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The most satisfying political moment in you lifetime?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:00 AM.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

For me it came last 12th December. The crushing defeat of the Liberal Democrats. Their arrogant and undemocratic determination to ignore the electorate and reverse BREXIT was breath-taking in its disrespect. Thank God they were so humiliatingly crushed and their leader, a lady whose name no one can now remember, losing her seat was such poetic justice.

And, by the way, I was a remainer.

dumpty, lexus300, Kandahar and 2 others like this.
  2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

I think I have to agree.

Kandahar likes this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

January 1st 1973, when joined the EEC

Mangleworzle and monicabilongame like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Mine is yet to come. It will be in November when The Orange Oaf loses the US election and throws a public tantrum/claims he'd had enough anyway/blames everyone but himself.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Thatcher resigning
    Berlin Wall coming down
    Obama's election

Bad ones - Brexit result, Trump elected and last election results

6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I just hope you're right.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

How would one describe Obama?

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Mine are naturally polar opposite.

sidaji likes this.
  9. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Senior commenter

The 1997 Labour landslide. It felt like a new dawn, and despite all the revisionism (and genuine mistakes by the Blair government, including Iraq), I still think the first two Blair governments were among the best we've ever seen.

I realise that this will go down like a lead balloon with most of the shoutiest on here. The tankies still think of Iraq as the greatest atrocity ever committed by humankind, the alt-righties can't bear the social progress that was achieved, and lo! the two camps come together to vilify merrily. ;)

10. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

2nd May about 0315ish when Portillo lost his seat. You didn’t hear the if it isn’t hurting, it’s not working slogan after that election.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Dumbama.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The Brexit referendum result and the Conservative victory last December, definitely. It was so pleasing to see the biased media with faces like smacked behinds eating humble pie.

wayside34, Jesmond12, Ro13 and 3 others like this.
  13. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

The Good Friday Agreement was pretty special for me but hopes that it would impact on sectarianism in Scotland have since faded.

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes. They destroyed Labour completely, allowing Conservatism free reign. I doubt the Labour brand will ever recover...certainly the working class will never forgive...how many chances did they have:

1. End Ofsted
    2. Renationalise water, gas, electricity, railways
    3. Strengthen states schools under LEAs...etc

Nothing...the complete reverse

They didn't call him Phony Tony for nothing

lexus300 likes this.
  15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

This!

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Yeah, right!

FriarLawrence likes this.
  17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

The politically correct version.

18. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

free rein

Kandahar likes this.
  19. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Thank you for correcting me. I often struggle with that one...reign as in to reign over v holding power.

lexus300 likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The "can you remember where you were when..?" moment for me was Thatcher's resignation. I can remember the buzz going round the staffroom that Thatcher had gone, and one senior colleague believing/hoping for a moment that she'd died.

Prior to that, the morning after her third election victory. The NASUWT rep asking "Has anyone got Gerry Adams' phone number?" causing deep outrage and offence to a gloating Tory boy activist at the other end of the staffroom.

Insofar as politics is ultimately about power I'd put the 9-11 attacks up there too.

ajrowing likes this.