1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The most memorable thing you've experienced as a teacher?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MikelAngeloBSc, May 24, 2020.

1. MikelAngeloBSc

MikelAngeloBSc New commenter

I would love to know the craziest, funniest, weirdest, most heart breaking, interesting, and whatever else you can think of thing that you have experienced as a teacher. Please give as much detail as possible so I can get the full picture. Let it all out, we might all learn a thing or two and/or at least be entertained.

2. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

It's been 9 weeks, I can't remember ...

christubbs and Jamvic like this.
  3. WB

WB Lead commenter

Awful but the father of a year 3 child died suddenly. She was off school for a week. When she came back the way her 7 year old friends cared for her and supported her was so heart-warming to see. I'm crying now thinking about how awful it must have been for her and I'm crying because I was so touched by the actions of her 2 best friends.

4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I started teaching in September 2001 ... 9/11 happened during my first week. Lots of very worried and anxious children. Also working in Manchester 3 years ago when a couple of our children had been at the Ariana Grande concert. Over the years I have also had pupils and parents die tragically. And our headteacher died in service.

Marshall likes this.
  5. MikelAngeloBSc

I should add, I'm thinking of compiling stories to create a book of the most interesting things I hear/read. So if you are going to write anything here just know that... Also if you do decide to write a story here please put as much detail as possible without doxing people (who, what, when, where and why would be much appreciated) ✌

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Would you like a hand typing it up too?

LiamD, bmouthboyo, mothorchid and 5 others like this.
  7. MikelAngeloBSc

Problem?

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Well you are asking people to provide you with your material.

Are you writing more than one book?

Jamvic likes this.
  9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Don’t want mine putting in a book. It’s probably not interesting enough anyway but you should have been clearer at the outset. Bit underhanded really.

WB, jellycowfish, lindenlea and 4 others like this.
  10. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Many years ago a little boy in my class bought me flowers, I remember his name, Andrew, he told me that when he grew up he'd marry me. He'd be in his 30's now and I wonder how his life turned out.

My most sad/shocking memory was 20 years ago. I was helping a 6 year old change for P.E and noticed four long bruises on the back of each of his upper arms, they were consistent with finger marks. I had to report it and it came to light that he and his older sisters were being physically abused. I had to go into my classroom cupboard for a good cry :(

My most recent memory has to be teaching online and a dad walking behind his daughter in just his boxers, completely oblivious that she was in lesson :oops:

I have so many more funny, sad memories in my 30 years of teaching, but those stick out the most :)

WB likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Years ago now.

A headteacher getting quite a pay rise even though they had made several staff redundant ‘due to lack of funds’ :eek:

12. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Don't try to make this sound like a friendly warning. It didn't just come to you after you posted.

Who on earth would buy a book to read about the tragedy teachers deal with anyway? Disgusting.

13. MikelAngeloBSc

Well I'm asking people to voluntary contribute a story that reflects teaching in their setting. Everyone has different work environments, age ranges, ability levels etc. I'm intrigued to know what it's been like teaching for other and thought others might find that interesting too. I could make a book of purely my own stories but I doubt it would be reflective of the entire profession. Regardless, if people don't want to contribute they don't have to, nobody has a gun to their head.

Ro13 likes this.
  14. MikelAngeloBSc

Not a problem. If anybody has an issue with it being potentially used for a book idea then either don't write anything or just say. That's your choice, I wouldn't say it was underhanded though, I wrote the post and then thought of the book idea and added that less than an hour later just incase people did not want to contribute. If I wanted to be "underhanded" I wouldn't have added that at all. Thanks anyway though

15. MikelAngeloBSc

Well it did but there's no way I can prove when I came up with the idea so... anyway i don't mind if you don't believe me.

It doesn't have to be a story of "tragedy" (although yes people might still want to read about it) and that's not disgusting it is simply intriguing to people to know what happens in schools, if it wasn't TV shows like educating Essex would not have been successful. Anyway I'm not asking for the most horrifying story (unless you want to provide it) it could be something strange, funny, exciting etc

Ro13 likes this.
  16. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I'm happy to add, I'd love reading about all the different aspects of teaching.

Sad that some like to get personal. If I don't like a post, I just don't post!

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

At least it makes a change from asking us to provide survey material for a PGCE project. :D

Jamvic, Ro13 and madcatlady like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"Show all working." You haven't mentioned how many marks we get, the learning objectives, or what the submission deadline is. :)

I can think of a few events, but I don't have the time to produce publication-ready detail, nor will many others, plus the sun's shining. I wish you well with your project all the same - nothing wrong with being enterprising.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I remember teaching a thoroughly irritating child called Reece Douglas....

20. WB

WB Lead commenter

You really should have said that in the opening post.

Like Vannie, I do not give permission for my post to be used.