1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The most memorable meal you have ever eaten?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gardening Leaves, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Hubs and I were taling this evening and it got me thinking. We love fine dining and have eaten in many of the country's 'best' restaurants. Yet we both agree that the best food we have ever eaten was in a little bistro on the main road in Lochinver on the west coast of Scotland. We had hand dived king scallops, the size and thickness of pork medallions. They were perfectly cooked and better even than the scallops we have eaten at Le Gavroche. Best of all, the dish cost eight quid.

2. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Hubs and I were taling this evening and it got me thinking. We love fine dining and have eaten in many of the country's 'best' restaurants. Yet we both agree that the best food we have ever eaten was in a little bistro on the main road in Lochinver on the west coast of Scotland. We had hand dived king scallops, the size and thickness of pork medallions. They were perfectly cooked and better even than the scallops we have eaten at Le Gavroche. Best of all, the dish cost eight quid.

3. The most memorable meal I've ever eaten, for all the wrong reasons, was on a working trip to Vermont and Quebec about ten years ago. The MD and I were treated to fruits de mer, steak and frites and chocolate cake at a small restaurant above a butchers in Montreal. The bloke who treated us was a) exceptionally boring b) sexist and c) had more money than sense. There was something special about the steak, and I couldn't tell you exactly what as my French wasn't up to the explanation, but the bill for lunch for five came to over 1500 Canadian dollars (exchange rate at the time was about 2.2/2.3). I love fine dining but the bloke was definitely showing off as the steak wasn't even that good!

4. One of the mostr memorable restaurant meals was in a small retaurant in La Rochelle called Le Corail.
    We had a five course meal which included oysters, scallops, lamb, cheese and desert, with appropriate wines at each stage. The service was excellent, the food perfect and by the time the bill came it was about £25 each.

Non-restaurant meals - one of the best was fishing for fresh prawns in Morlaix bay and cooking them straightaway over a wood fire eaten with bagueete and butter and a rock pool chilled Muscadet. A slice of ripe Charentais melon for desert

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've eaten in a fair few good restaurants but not many top class ones. Lunch at the Kitchin with Tom Kitchin in view cooking away was very memorable and pretty reasonable too.

6. St. Malo, 1989, honeymoon.
    We were hungry and couldn't decide how to choose a restaurant. So we followed a French man - dressed in blue serge with beret and walking stick, we thought he looked hungry. He walked off the rampart square, and down a side street into what looked like a greasy spoon - Restaurant des Isles (now apparently Bert's Bistro!!).
    Plastic table cloths and about 8 tables. Clean but definitely drab! We were worried, but as we have a rule - once you follow you have to complete (we have had some great holidays doing this) we sat down and tried tro decipher the menu!
    He had: fish bisque - it just kept coming from a huge tourine
    then grilled cockles - an error in translation that he made over and over again[​IMG]
    and a slab of pork, cooked on the fire in the corner of the room.
    Me? I had my first ever oysters (from Concale just up the road) and an enormous Fruit de Mer, spider crab, mussels, clams, cockles, razor clams and all sorts of stuff, with some weird dense bread and garlic mayo followed by Isle Flotante.
    It took us about an hour and half to walk back to the hotel... and we have measured every restuarant by this one ever since! All have fallen short!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Breakfast after we got engaged.
    We called room service and ordered champagne, fresh fruit, waffles with warm maple syrup followed by bacon and scrambled eggs.
    The food was probably just slightly higher than average but what made it really special was a) that I was sharing it with my now husband and I felt completely cocooned in love and happiness and b) he serenaded me with his guitar and sang a song he wrote for me. He sings that song sometimes when touring with his band and it always takes me back to that moment.