1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The most controversial Governor's poster ever?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by harsh-but-fair, Apr 23, 2011.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

[​IMG]

When headmistress Shirley Patterson saw it, she believed it represented her surrounded by white parents.
    She reportedly compared it to a scene from Mississippi Burning, a film about the Ku Klux Klan’s racist lynchings, saying it left her ‘fearing for her and her family’s safety’.She called the police, claiming harassment. Then a council inquiry spent weeks determining the race of the Charles Darwin figure. Now Mr Moyle has been suspended from the governing body of Goodrich primary school in fashionable East Dulwich, south-east London, and is considering withdrawing his two younger children.
    But a friend of Mr Moyle said: ‘Southwark council summoned David for a meeting and told him the posters amounted to harassment.
    ‘A two-week investigation was carried out into the toy Charles Darwin’s ethnicity, before it was ruled “indeterminable”.
    ‘But the council inquiry, carried out by a whole team of officers including the assistant director of access, inclusion and education, Pauline Armour, ruled the poster was “an image of violence and intimidation”, and “deeply disturbing and damaging to children”.’

2. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

I believe the phrase young people use in this situation is ***

3. In case anyone is interested the original article is here
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/toolsandinitiatives/teacherstv?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Shut+Down+EMKT+closedown+not+signed+up+or+not+reg+1

4. harsh-but-fair

Errrr ... Wrong thread, surely?

5. Right thread!

Wrong link! ;-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1379735/Black-headmistress-Shirley-Patterson-saw-lynch-mob-parents-poster-called-police.html

6. So it is a poster right? And taking it down quickly wouldnt have been a better choice?
    Interesting that race entered into it- it didnt occur to me when I saw it.If no racial issue was determined,does that mean it was the Head's projection of racial issues, and does that make her more racist than the man who made the poster? I wonder why she didnt just speak to the governor who put it up directly? It is a shame she felt so threatened.
    Wow a 2 week investigation into the ethnicity of a plastic figure in a poster (presumably) taken down- that is such a mad job- I would love them to pay me to do it.

7. Was there any writing on the poster?

8. harsh-but-fair

Sneaking back in, QT?
    How predictable ...

9. Why didnt the head teacher just remove the poster and then ask the Governor to explain the purpose of the poster.

10. harsh-but-fair

Well spotted Mr B