1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Moon landings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Do you accept the USA landed man on the moon on July 20th 1969?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. ALIENS!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I believe the moon landings were real, but if they happened now I'd be very cynical. We live in a time when the authorities and the media routinely mislead us without blinking an eye and i can understand particularly why the younger generation is sceptical about the Apollo missions.

I watched it - it was very well done. No narrator, just text captions where necessary and sounded as though much of the dialogue was real NASA recordings - though that might not be true of course.

(The fabrication was on BBC1 at the same time.)

It was mentioned last night that according to NASA protocol Aldrin would have expected to be first one to step on the moon. They didn't make clear why that didn't happen, whether it was an agreement between him and Armstrong or whether something else went on.

If you didn't see it, it's definitely worth a look on catch up.

grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed, this made it compelling viewing for me. No smart backside commentator trying to be funny as they tell us the bleedin' obvious, just facts either in writing or in actual words.

I do still believe it happened but man, there are some things that seem too scripted and full of what the Americans seem to crave from their films and heroes - melodrama.

So Armstrong had to take over as the computer was headed for mountains and he lands with barely seconds to spare??

Aldrin repairs the one broken switch which....mmm....is of all the ones that could break the one they need to blast off from the Moon, with a felt tip pen????

blue451 likes this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

As long as that helps the image:cool:

There is an old service joke
    Q: If you are at a busy party, how can you tell if there is a fast jet pilot in the room?

He’ll tell you!

4. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I have a vague feeling I've heard that before, but the bit about taking manual control to avoid a crash is a bit too Hollywood.

5. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

That is what happened. I was watching at the time and the coms link audio and the NASA commentary explained - the LEM automatic landing trajectory was heading for rough (rock strewn) surface so Armstrong intervened and shifted sideways, almost using up the manouvering fuel reserve in the process... and no I didnt see last nights programme, that is my own vivid recall from 1969 when I was up way way past bed time to watch it all on TV.

It really is a sad commentary on attitudes today that people can't seem to believe that yes - they really did do this, and yes they were really courageous men - heroes if you will.

Sundaytrekker and blue451 like this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I disagree and think we have to question what needs to be questioned. If the answer is reasonable, no sweat.

The courage they showed was incredible, evidenced also by how calm their voices were in actual recordings.

Another thing I found amazing was Armstrong was way, way behind the others in space flight experience and NASA protocol was that Aldrin would have been the first man out and about BUT they decided to change protocol and let Armstrong get what will forever be that unique first leap for mankind.

Was the person making that decision perhaps related to Bercow? :p

Aldrin I believe says he was and is fine with how things were and no matter what that is something I never, ever will believe.

I am well peed off about it and it did not even involve me!

7. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Up to a point...

But then there are questions and there are "Questions" - Why has it ever come up to doubt this achievement that was watched by so many around the world? What is this fascination with far fetched conspiracy theories? - The evidence that we did in fact go to the moon is absolutely incontrovertibly overwhelmingly conclusive in any system of logic and proof you can devise - its not a matter of opinion or interpretation, it is there in cold hard facts on the ground (and on the moon!). yet the question keeps coming up, like wacka-mole (and a certain posting entity on that other thread you and I inhabit,;) ).

As for what Buzz Aldrin felt about it - well he says he's OK with it, so we should take his word for it. If he truly ISNT then he will have his reasons for keeping it in, and it is his right so to do - no one else is affected, so we should leave it alone, believe what we will in private.

8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’m currently watching this program on catch up. They’ve just landed and, yes, it’s exactly the news commentary, astronauts’ voices and Houston dialogue that I remember. Yes, Armstrong did take over the landing controls. I was watching as an excited young high school student. It put me on the road to study science through to university. It remains an amazing achievement.

dleaf12 likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm no expert on space travel, but I bet you any money you like, there was a queue for the lavatory after the spaceship finally touched down instead of crashing like the recent Israili attempt did.

The first man on the moon will almost certainly have been the first to change his underpants and do it in dignity. Can you imagine the Yanks allowing that moment to be filmed with someone wearing a space suit with stains all around the arrse region?

One or two of my residents struggle with their bowels when they have to take the lift to the first floor, let alone make it all the way to the moon.

10. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

I recall an early pub video game in the 70's that had you trying to land the LEM, Armstrong style... it wasn't as easy as it looked! (or maybe that was the Newcastle Brown's fault!).

les25paul likes this.
  11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Here is the transcript of the last few seconds of the landing.
    04 06 44 45 LMP (EAGLE)
    100 feet, 3 1/2 down, 9 forward. Five percent.

04 06 44 51 LMP (EAGLE)

04 06 44 54 LMP (EAGLE)
    Okay. 75 feet. There's looking good. Down a half, 6 forward.

04 06 45 02 CC
    60 seconds.

04 06 45 04 LMP (EAGLE)
    Lights on. ...

04 06 45 08 LMP (EAGLE)
    Down 2 1/2. Forward. Forward. Good.

04 06 45 17 LMP (EAGLE)
    40 feet, down 2 1/2. Kicking up some dust.

04 06 45 21 LMP (EAGLE)
    30 feet, 2 1/2 down. Faint shadow.

04 06 45 25 LMP (EAGLE)
    4 forward. 4 forward. Drifting to the right a little. Okay. Down a half.

04 06 45 31 CC
    30 seconds.

04 06 45 32 CDR (EAGLE)
    Forward drift?

04 06 45 33 LMP (EAGLE)
    Yes.

04 06 45 34 LMP (EAGLE)
    Okay.

04 06 45 40 LMP (EAGLE)
    CONTACT LIGHT.

04 06 45 43 LMP (EAGLE)
    Okay. ENGINE STOP.

04 06 45 45 LMP (EAGLE)
    ACA - out of DETENT.

04 06 45 46 CDR (EAGLE)
    Out of DETENT.

04 06 45 47 LMP (EAGLE)
    MODE CONTROL - both AUTO. DESCENT ENGINE COMMAND OVERRIDE - OFF. ENGINE ARM - OFF.

(GOSS NET 1) Tape 66/12 Page 317

04 06 45 52 LMP (EAGLE)
    413 is in.

04 06 45 57 CC
    We copy you down, Eagle.

04 06 45 59 CDR (TRANQ)
    Houston, Tranquility Base here.

04 06 46 04 CDR (TRANQ)
    THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

04 06 46 06 CC
    Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot.

04 06 46 16 CDR (TRANQ)
    Thank you.

04 06 46 18 CC
    You're looking good here.

04 06 46 23 CDR (TRANQ)
    Okay. We're going to be busy for a minute.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Just watching Moon Launch Live on Channel 4. Spellbinding to watch and I will be following the series this week.

13. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

If Buzz say he’s ok with it, I wouldn’t argue:

dleaf12 likes this.
  14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

When I was small, my Mum took my brother and me to see an exhibition of moon landings things. I remember petri-dishes filled with blackish gravel and dirt. This was moon rock. It is unlike anything on earth, (as I recall) because it's harder than diamonds. If they didn't get to the moon, my Mum lied and that's not possible. And also, where did that rock stuff come from, then?

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In the preceding Gemini missions, the co-pilot performed the EVAs, while the commander remained inside the spacecraft, as on Geminis 4, 9, 10, 11 & 12. Early mission profiles for Apollo 11 might have followed this but practical considerations made it more sensible for Armstrong to get out first. The LM hatch opened swinging inwards on Aldrin's side. To get out first, he would have had to crowd over Armstrong's side. With Armstrong going out of the LM first, Aldrin had the room necessary to go the the other side of the LM before getting out. The process was reversed when they left the lunar surface, with Aldrin getting back into the LM first.

16. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Did she tell you to believe in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy too? If so then there is a pattern emerging here.

Out of the vacuum cleaner.

:D:D:D:D

17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Did you test it and make sure it was old cheese?

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think it is because nothing of the same nature has happened since, so the one time we did go now comes under extreme analysis.

Also, NASA do not seem to be too good at the PR stuff. (Rather like the EU now you mention it :p)

19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Tooth fairy, no. Father Christmas, yes - but he WAS real. I saw him in a shop!
    :eek::eek::eek:

les25paul likes this.
  20. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I have been at the point of near 50/50 on this before but the most compelling argument for us landing on the moon is the many who oiled have had to keep their mouth shut for many years otherwise.
    Can understand the ‘we haven’t been back lately’ argument, yep getting to the Moon is ****** expensive and once the achievement has been done several times, it loses its novelty and is only now regaining it.