1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Moon landings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Do you accept the USA landed man on the moon on July 20th 1969?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. ALIENS!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

"Everything was going fine on Apollo 11 until Buzz disabled the AdBlocker... then the system crashed."

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Especially with the casting of Marlon Brando and Orson Welles.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Pity, they could have looked out and not bothered with a computer.

5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Careful. Hinting at the f-word risks the wrath of those of whom we do not speak.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I use the word 'husky'.

And I love both actor. Welles was Unicron* after all.

* if you get that reference my respect for you will increase 48%

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

They took plenty of photos, some which are here
    https://history.nasa.gov/ap11ann/kippsphotos/apollo.html

The ones on the Moon with Aldrin in the picture you can definitely say Armstrong took. It was, in fact, a major mission objective which the astronauts took very seriously. They were given the same cameras to take home and practice with so they got used to using them.

I watched the Moon landings and have never been in doubt. There is not one of the stories that are in any way convincing of a fake Moon landing.

cissy3, dleaf12, blazer and 1 other person like this.
  8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I would dearly love your respect for me to increase by a whopping 48%, but unfortunately it is doomed to decrease, possibly by as much as 100%, since I haven't got the slightest idea what "husky" and "Unicron" are referring to.

I am ashamed of myself.

lanokia and primarycat like this.
  9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I can manage husky. And have a vague concept of Unicron (think Mr PC and a customs officer sat in a customs shed in Heathrow playing with related toys when they were first released as they had to "inspect them" but not clear enough to claim 48%. Maybe 23.54%.

EmanuelShadrack and lanokia like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It shall remain as it was before husky and unicron came into it.

Welled greatest role :p

primarycat likes this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

So far as I can make out, they are some sort of toys. It's always possible they are the sort that Angela Merkel appears to be using when she breaks into her shaking fits. Might it be one of those bluetooth-connected, phone-controlled vibrating things that have been in the news over tha past year of so?

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

nnnngh, I was joking.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I heard something about that. Was it about them putting the first woman on the moon? I can't wait to hear the conversations the astronautesses have with Mission Control.

"Houston, we have a problem."

"What?"

"Never mind, it doesn't matter."

"What's the problem?"

"Nothing."

"Just tell us."

"You know what the bloody problem is..."

colpee and dleaf12 like this.
  14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

There have always been conspiracy theories, but I think they are far more prevalent now. The main lift-off point for this rise was, I think, the assassination of JFK, for which there is some evidence that more than one person was involved. Since then, some people see any major event as a conspiracy (moon landings, 9/11, death of Diana etc), and this applies to events prior to JFK (Titanic, the Holocaust etc).

15. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Wasn’t it someone misunderstanding what Trump said to one of his female aides? “I tell you, hun, I’m going to show you the moon...”

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Armstrong was a test pilot prior to becoming an astronaut, and there's a sort of unwritten code among the brethren that you remain cool, calm, and reserved in the face of adulation and attention. You tend to distrust those from outside the brethren and you remain secretive - it's almost Masonic. Tom Wolfe's book The Right Stuff captures it superbly, and the movie of the same name makes a good attempt with its portrayal of Chuck Yeager.

dumpty and cissy3 like this.
  17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Accepted, but one of the major arguments of MLDs (Moon Landing Deniers) is that the photos taken were too good. The cameras were Hasselblad 500 and they were fixed to the chest and couldn't be operated in the normal way so how could the astronauts taken such good photos. The answer being that they practised in the same way as they practised everything else to do with the mission.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

#EverydaySexism

cissy3 likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It also shows the ignorance of photography by the deniers, Hassleblads were one of the highest quality cameras available at the time and took large format film, so they were equipped to take technically excellent pictures. I suppose you wouldn't get that if your experience of photography is peering through the tiny viewfinder of an Instamatic.

blue451 and cissy3 like this.
  20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I watched this last night, and found it very well done.
    It used the existing recordings of the real astronauts, combined with actors, interspersed with footage from the time.

It was very exciting, even though you know what happens in the end!
    (Interesting that Nixon had prepared an alternative speech in the eventuality that they didn't return)

(For the Duke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_space ;))

blue451 likes this.