1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Moon landings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Do you accept the USA landed man on the moon on July 20th 1969?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. ALIENS!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Two people have clicked no... which makes 8% so far... which is in line with expectations according to the Guardian article.

Would those posters care to give their reasons why?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Jodrell Bank and Bernard Lovell lied? No wonder the world has gone to hell in a handcart.

nomad likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I must admit when you watch some of the better put together 'it was fake' programmes, they do make you think.

The ones that still niggle me are indeed how could we send a pod to the Moon that was made out of kitchen foil and sandpaper (compared to modern day materials) and get it right first time (when most practice runs on Earth failed)?

Why did Armstrong always appear so uncomfortable in interviews, to the point he became a near recluse?

But as has been said, I cannot believe someone would not have broken ranks by now if they had real evidence it was fake.

It is a story I want to believe so I do. Mostly.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I do believe that the Moon landings took place, at the time there was a major race between the Soviets and the US to get there first. If it was faked the Soviets would have challenged it, but they didn't then and haven't since.

I also recognise there has been tremendous advances in Space with reuseable space craft and the Space Station with perhaps Russia in the lead now,

But why has there been no more visits to the Moon or even a base situated there in the last 50 years? It does give the skeptics some ammunition.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

To what purpose?

The moon has been visited, samples have been brought back, an laser reflector has been planted to permit accurate distance measurements. The Chinese may well send a manned mission to prove that they can, but as for the Americans and Russians, the visits would be an unwarranted expense.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

If it was a fake then I demand those hours back, ripped from my bed at daft o'clock and made to sit in front of the tv screen.

Sundaytrekker, knitone and cissy3 like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I've met Jodrell Bank and he's a thoroughly pleasant and decent chap. I don't think he'd make anything up.

racroesus and Mangleworzle like this.
  8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Establishing a base on the Moon would provide valuable experience and technologies needed should we ever (and I hope we do) send manned flights to Mars and colonise it. It would train astronauts in landings/take off on non Earth bodies and allow the collection of even more data.

But it nothing else it would prove to the doubters we really did get there.

lanokia and nomad like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have a savings account there.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There is nothing that will change the minds of conspiracy theorists even if billions of dollars are spent attempting to do so.

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I thought I remembered quite clearly, all the family gathered round in absolute awe, watching on the telly.

But it was during the early hours of the morning (gmt) so my memory must be deceiving me.

(All the conspiracy theorists' points have been answered/rebutted haven't they?)

Edit: anyone going to watch ''8 Days to the Moon and Back'' on bbc2 this evening?

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But the Americans are planning on new missions ramping up from next year towards a landing in 2024 [to coincide with Pence's election effort ~ yeah seriously]

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The thing I find most implausible about the moon landings is the claim they only has 2Kb of RAM on board the spacecraft computer. You need a minimum of 8Gb RAM just to get on Facebook.

les25paul and nomad like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well they would have needed 8GBb if Houston had been sending them non-stop adverts. Without the adverts, memes and other garbage, 2Kb is plenty.

16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Who could disbelieve this song?

17. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

I watched it Live on TV - so it must have been true!!:p

No seriously - we are spoiled in this day and age by cgi special effects that make visual images that can be utterly believable. Back in 1969 there was not even a ghost of the technology needed to fake those images and films, not even close.

Someone has estimated the costs if you DID want to fake it and were willing to spend what it took to develop all and any technology needed to perpetrate the fake - including brainwashing the thousands of people who would have to keep up the pretence...

Turns out the cheapest way to fake it was to get thousands of people to develop some giant rockets, test various systems with 10 of them and then send two guys to the moon and back on the 11th.

No one would ever be able to tell...
    :cool:

18. Duke of York

Joking aside, I have a friend who in the 70s worked for Decca Navigator and later Racal after the took over Decca, programming aircraft navigation systems. He said they were only using 1Kb of RAM in the systems. Mind you it was in the days before Windows.

19. Duke of York

I saw something that said it would have cost exactly the same amount to fake the landing in Hollywood as the moon shot did. Or would have, but for the catering bill.

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

There's a growing belief that the Guardian is faked.