1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Moon landings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Do you accept the USA landed man on the moon on July 20th 1969?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. ALIENS!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

With July 20th being the 50 year anniversary of the lunar landings the Guardian has this piece on the growing belief that it was all faked.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...ople-still-think-the-moon-landings-were-faked

Now the numbers are still a minority but got me wondering how many on here accept it happened?

Personally I put the growth of this down to the idea of constant progress... young people will look at what we can do now and what their grandparents generation managed to achieve and because of the idea that we are always progressing, they'll assume it must be a lie. Obviously they're wrong... but I can understand why....

Mangleworzle likes this.
  2. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

The Earth is flat so obviously the Moon landings were faked since they "took" a photo of a round Earth! ;)

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

When did the doubting start? I vaguely remember hearing with some astonishment that some thought they were faked, but I was well into adulthood at the time and it must have been at least 20 years after the event.

I imagine such doubts are about making the doubter feel clever and better than everyone else as they have seen the truth unlike the "sheeple".

cissy3 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

The doubtIn started when the film Capricorn one came out
    The plot was about Americans trying to cover up fake mars mission after the dummy craft crashed in reentry

People then thought the premise of the film was correct and the lunar landings were faked.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

upload_2019-7-10_11-58-41.png

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect there is a whiff of that too... that they've seen behind the curtain at Old Man McGillcuddy and his magic moon-landing-faking-machine and now speak a high truth.

But also the internet does allow disparate types to coalesce together ... each finding solace that they aren't alone in their 'odd' beliefs.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  7. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Conspiracy theories are fun I suppose. I, however, am confident man walked on the moon.

blazer likes this.
  8. bmajor

bmajor New commenter

lanokia likes this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I watched a good programme on this a couple of years ago. Much of the evidence was based on photographs and videos published by NASA after the live event.

The evidence that some photographs were faked was quite strong - but (IMO) seemed could be more like crude editing to perhaps overcome bad shots or environmental issues (e.g clouds of dust hovering for a couple of hours). Hence the famous straight flag, ‘impossible’ camera angles and conflicting reflections. But (also IMO) none of this remotely came close to proving that the event never took place.

The trouble with conspiracy theorists, is that in their desire for the exotic, they are too keen to overlook the mundane and obvious.

Laphroig and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Conspiracy theorists are guided by three main beliefs: nothing happens by accident; everything is connected; and nothing is as it seems. If that’s their view of the world, then to them appearances cannot be trusted. There has to be some 'hidden reality' and links (fatuous links to those with open minds) that 'have to be exposed'.

It is basically a psychological disjunction between reality and belief.

colpee and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

How can anyone refute an argument so well founded in logic.

lanokia and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We seem to have lost a hollow Earth and hollow Sun.

13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

So far there's one vote for "No".

Come on, own up. Who did that? Jenkins was it you? I can stay here all day you know.

By coincidence (no, not coincidence, it must have been "them"), I was watching this yesterday (excuse the ad at the start):

It mentions the oft-omitted fact that the mission was monitored the whole time by the Soviets. If anyone were to claim the whole thing was a hoax, it surely would have been them. Oddly enough they didn't.

14. EmanuelShadrack

Well think for a moment, where were you when you last had them?

[and the obvious reply: "if I knew that, I'd clucking well go and fetch them wouldn't I?"]

racroesus and nomad like this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yebbut, they were in on the whole thing too, "Sputnik" was actually some Russian agents driving round in a Trabant while one of them went "beep, beep, beep" through a megaphone out of the window. The plot is wider and deeper than anyone but me knows about.

mothorchid, cissy3 and nomad like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I watched that one too. He's not a bad presenter.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  17. EmanuelShadrack

Oh yes, of course.

I'd best not say any more. They're already spying on me.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ok, ok ok-it was me.
    But not without reason.
    It's the Maths behind a poorly constructed lie you see.
    Namely that last year I went on a four week trip to Tashkent, and whilst there i allowed at least thirty photos to be taken of me beside various landmarks and interesting things , because that is what you do when you go somewhere far away and new and exciting.
    Neil Armstrong purportedly went as far as the moon (in the region of 73 times as far away as Tashkent) yet only claimed to have had five taken instead of the expected 2,190.
    Shot himself in the foot with that one.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They went to the Moon without doubt. A hoax would have needed to compliance of tens of thousands of people. It is inconceivable that by now at least one of them would have blown the secret.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's always the element that pulls these things apart... that a hoax would need such widespread compliance from a vast array of people...

Flat Earth has to be even worse. Then again...

upload_2019-7-10_18-10-41.png

cissy3 and racroesus like this.