1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Mobile Phone Debate

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sarah_dann1, Oct 10, 2016.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It is almost unbelievable. Kids willing to die for their phones. Chilling.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You are a braver person than me, jubilee, I also used to follow school policy regarding confiscation until a supply teacher (long-term) correctly confiscated a phone and then managed to lose it/had it stolen.

Inevitably parents complained and the supply teacher ended up having to pay for it. £200 and I'm really glad that I wasn't the union rep who tried and failed to get the school to take the hit.

Since then, permanent or supply, I don't touch pupils mobiles. If it really has to be removed then I ask for it in such a confrontational way that I'm 'forced' to call for backup to have it removed

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

That is a sad story John about the teacher taking a mobile phone and having to pay for it - thanks for taking the time to share it.

Normally, I never take a phone from a student; but, if I have a break or know I can get the phone to an office or reception without too much trouble, I might take it. However, it isn't a good idea since as the story above shows, it is risky because the phone could be lost or stolen.

If were the parents of the child, I would not have made the school or the teacher pay for the phone. The child would have had to save up to pay for another one.

Two hundred pounds is a fortune for anyone ( unless you are very wealthy) and it was a massive sum for a teacher to have to pay for. No the parents are to blame for not disciplining their child.

The temptations of having phones out are too much for some children I suppose no matter how many times parents/teachers tell them not to have them out. In my experience, phones are a massive disruption and I am always worried some student has one out filming me and the class. When the classes are large, how could I know if as student was doing that? I couldn't unless I don't bother trying to teach or help students and instead monitor the class like a police warden.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If pupils cannot follow instructions from parents and teachers about leaving their phones in their bags/pockets, the parents and school should ban the child from having their phone in school. If contact with the child is important, they should be told to get a really basic phone that just does calls and texts. Without the all-singing-all-dancing phones, they will be less tempted to use the phone in lessons.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. ChrisH77

ChrisH77 New commenter

In my day-to-day supply as a cover supervisor (disapproved here, I know, but there are fair reasons) mobile phones can be quite useful to establish some lines of respect, trust and learning.

When someone (inevitably) suggests they need to look it up on their phone, or use the calculator on their phone, then the patter goes something like "Yes, that's fine, except... when you open it up, there will be a message waiting alert - resist that temptation and just do what you need to do; when you find what you want, do write down the key words and ideas as notes or sketches - have something to show for it - then put the phone away; if you don't have the data allowance or WiFi login then ask someone else in the group to find the info for you to record".

If that trust is broken, then they put the phone away, in bag not pocket please. If they still can't leave it alone, then it goes to teacher's desk, in full view, to be returned just before the 5 minutes packing up time. I have in the past followed policy of confiscated phones to reception, but now avoid - too many risks when I'm somewhere else tomorrow.

Grown up behaviour from the grown-up seems to encourage grown-up behaviour from the students... mostly.

6. LindseyGrubb

LindseyGrubb New commenter

Mobile phones have become an integral part of our lives, however, I don't think they serve too much of a purpose during class time other than for taking quick snapshots of the whiteboard/notes.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. joyanadia38

joyanadia38 New commenter

Technology nowadays is important so I agree that kids should have some gadgets...AT HOME.
    Nothing is more distracting than the phone beeping and flashing with notifications, how can they concentrate in class?
    Phones should be banned in class.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. leverarch1970

leverarch1970 New commenter

I've been in two situations in the same school. We used to crack down on phones being used in lessons severely and it was a constant battle. I've met the scenario of confiscation and vividly recall one student who was addicted to texting down everything that was said in a lesson and was receiving counselling for this obsession.

However, no longer is it a battle, what changed I hear you ask. Behaviour. The school became an academy and enforced a new uniform, rebranded, picked up litter, took a hard line on behaviour and that the teacher had a right to teach and students simply to follow instructions. After two years the school did a deal and brought in the use of I-Pads as a roll out programme so KS3 have these currently, which the students are personally responsible for, so technology was and is more obvious in the class room. But even before you speak up and say, not every school can have I-Pads and the issue here is about mobile phones, what happens now in my classes is that KS4 students actually ask politely "Miss can I use my phone to look this up...use my calculator on the phone?" and because they have asked, its not a battle and I have less stress with more trust.
    They can use their phones at break and lunch for personal calls and the culture has changed that very rarely do I have to address someone getting a phone out to check a text in class.

No its not a grammar school, or private school but one that has made a complete turn around and is embracing technology. We can't stop technology but maybe as I have experienced, we can have a new approach. It starts with the top down though...

saluki and pepper5 like this.
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

in my school there is a complete and total ban, and regular bag searches. Anyone in possession of a phone is immediately excluded. Its fantastic, and a direct contrast to my previous school where every single lesson I saw was totally blighted by mobile phones.

pepper5 and jubilee like this.
  10. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

NO PHONES! end of

pepper5 likes this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi dunnocks

Your school does indeed sound fantastic in connection with their policy on mobile phones.

I work in many schools as a supply teacher and one of the things that does concern me is that despite being vigilant to watch what students are doing and whether they are on task, I might fail to notice a student filming me or the class on a mobile phone.

That is the number one reason I would ban them totally.

Another reason is that instead of going outside and playing football or just having a walk around, students sit in classrooms at lunch times on their mobile phones playing video games or whatever. No one knows what they are doing on the phones since no adults are in the rooms.