1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The minute I like a product, it gets altered or discontinued.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wordsworth, Feb 6, 2016.

1. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

Maybe it is just me, or maybe there is a conspiracy, but time and time again as soon as I like something, the maker will stop making it or alter it out of all recognition. I shall start with an example, please feel free to add your own.

Marks and Spencer plain black crew neck jumper. This was my staple for years. Washed up well, hid the fat, went with anything, nice and plain. And now? Now only available in snot green or other bright naff colours. Yes you can still get black jumpers from them if you want extraneous and oddly placed zips all over them. Or, yes you can still get a black jumper from them if you want V-neck, but I don't want V-neck, I want crew neck like they used to make. And no, I don't want a black marks and spencer jumper in black but with sparkles on it that looks like dandruff. No, I don't want one with the picture of a cute animal on it. No I don't want dodgy big bows all over it either. What is WRONG with their buyer??

GLsghost, smoothnewt and Noja like this.
  2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

The two I have are Pret a Manger's baked doughnut and Starbucks' classic cake doughnut (spot a theme?). I still feel aggrieved that both of these have been consigned to the history books, even some years later. I just don't find that a muffin or a chocolate croissant hits the spot in the same way.

emilystrange likes this.
  3. wordsworth

that's just cruel of them, Sillow. They lead you on into a false sense of security and then, bam! remove them forever. My next one, for those interested is 'reach' toothbrushes in 'firm'. Disappeared from the shelves overnight as soon as I felt it was the perfect toothbrush for me. But, I have found that ebay still offer them, so I am stocking up before the makers realise the loophole.

Sillow likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My neighbour used to reckon that someone from the co-op used to read his shopping list then go round taking those specific items of the shelves.

5. wordsworth

Now we come to L'oreal face cream. All through my 30's (ok going back a bit here) they did a fantastic face cream. It was light and moisturised my skin just right, I loved it. One day I bought a new tub to discover that they had altered the recipe in some way, it was all waxy and greasy. So that was the end of that.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Waitrose sherbert lemons. Other brands just aren't as good, with either too little sherbert or not lemony enough. Oh and Waitrose apricot chewy bars and ginger chewy bars. No more!

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Nivea shower gel. There's one they sell in Europe which is perfect, the version that came closest here was discontinued.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Happens to me all the time!

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

M&S black ALL cotton knickers with no VPL, no lace, no itchy bits. Loved them, bought them by the packet - actually comfortable enough to go up sizes when pregnant; half-going down after baby, I discovered that they were discontinued. Of course, I had a supply of all sizes, but....only one packet (5) of that middle size that I was stuck at ...went and bought the new ones. They're ok, but they put some elastic in them...growl.

L'oreal Excellence Perfect 10 minute hair dye. I have been dying my hair almost 30 years, and I had discovered Perfect 10 - literally brushed in and then 10 minutes later, rinsed out. DISCONTINUED. Now, I'm back to 30 minutes, dripping everywhere and getting a crick in my neck from the taking forever -- yes, I could go to the hair salon, but....

Tesco's used to sell Hershey's chocolate Kisses, which I bought for my half Irish/American child, but they stopped (guess I was the only one buying them in our local store); had to buy from an on-line (equals more expensive) shop.

The Co-op where I used to work had prawn mayo salad as part of their lunch deal and lovely teas - I have never seen them in any other Co-op....growl

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Yonks ago, M&S sold a pack of two strawberry whipped fromage frais. They were ruddy gorgeous and sold out the minute they hit the shelves. They were so popular that you stood little chance of finding any later than early afternoon. So, instead of doubling production, it was discontinued. I have never forgiven M&S.

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Hello Wordsworth nice to see you around. You have been missed .

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Have you a pound shop near you?

I often find American treats (not Kisses, sadly) but lots of Reece's things.
    I even bought a Twinkie in there a few weeks back. (more as a memento than anything, as they are the work of the devil!)

Discontinued make-up was the bane of my Mom's life, as she had very particular tastes in colour and stayability, as well as needing stuff for sensitive eyes etc

You could almost guarantee that as soon as she found the perfect product, it would be discontinued.

13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Wilkinson's lined loose foolscap.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Make-up! I'd forgot about make-up.

15. wordsworth

hi olds and thanks:)

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I had a Maybelline lipstick that was a perfect colour for every day use - not too bright just a bit brighter than natural. I've been looking everywhere but gave up the search today as it has obviously been discontinued.

17. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

There's a bit of an m & s theme here...Greek salad sandwiches...blooming gorgeous so obviously discontinued, along with salmon and dill cottage cheese. Pah.

18. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

ruby and millie i-writer pens.i think the whole brand pulled out of the UK. i bought a bulk load from ebay.
    i get a bit huffy if i find that there's something lovely discontinued before i've even heard of it!

19. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I live in fear of finding Next have discontinued their 'Define' perfume. It seems so rare in their shops these days but it's a smell I adore, it's the only perfume I wear and takes me back to my uni days! I've managed to find it after a short search each time in the last few years, but one day...

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have found a ladder in my pair of brick effect tights. I have just searched for a replacement pair on the Pretty Polly website but nothing. Gutted!