1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The millionaires stock market club

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by MasterMaths, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hi there. I start a new (NQT) role in September, and as part of my timetable I have to do a fortnightly "enrichment" class with sixth formers. This can, apparently, be anything, but the general rule of thumb is that it should cover something which they are unlikely to encounter in their existing studies and will give them extra skills/knowledge/insight which will help them in their next stage (either employment or further/higher education).
    I'm a maths teacher but have a "business" background and was thinking of doing something businessy. My current idea is, as the title suggests, to give them an imaginery £1m which they have to invest in stocks. We can then review business news etc and buy/sell each time we meet.
    I'm pretty handy with excel so can knock something together if needs be, but since it's only going to be 1 hour a fortnight I don't want to bust my balls over it. So, does anyone have a ready-made "toolkit" for this? I remember Barclays Capital doing a session at uni which simulated a week with various developments taking place - do you know of anything similar for post-16 students?
    Or does anyone have any similar suggestions which they've seen be successful in the past?
    Thanks very much - and hope you're all enjoying your holidays!

2. Hi there. I start a new (NQT) role in September, and as part of my timetable I have to do a fortnightly "enrichment" class with sixth formers. This can, apparently, be anything, but the general rule of thumb is that it should cover something which they are unlikely to encounter in their existing studies and will give them extra skills/knowledge/insight which will help them in their next stage (either employment or further/higher education).
    I'm a maths teacher but have a "business" background and was thinking of doing something businessy. My current idea is, as the title suggests, to give them an imaginery £1m which they have to invest in stocks. We can then review business news etc and buy/sell each time we meet.
    I'm pretty handy with excel so can knock something together if needs be, but since it's only going to be 1 hour a fortnight I don't want to bust my balls over it. So, does anyone have a ready-made "toolkit" for this? I remember Barclays Capital doing a session at uni which simulated a week with various developments taking place - do you know of anything similar for post-16 students?
    Or does anyone have any similar suggestions which they've seen be successful in the past?
    Thanks very much - and hope you're all enjoying your holidays!

3. Hi Bougalou
    Thaks for that - it looks really interesting and pretty much what I was hoping for. I'll have a word with the business studies teachers at the school in a couple of weeks to see if they're doing something similar and then hopefully get it rocking and rolling by mid-September.
    Thanks again.

4. Hi Bougalou,

Also sharesforschools may be worth a look...http://shares4schools.com/index.html
    Regards

Jon

5. Good query!

Am tempted by the BoE challenge.

Bit more Economics per se but good extension to AS / A2 Business Studies, especially for the more able ones.

Mike

6. Thanks again for the replies - but this session has now been taken off my timetable! I'll keep it in mind for future reference though.