1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Michaela way in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by fflur01, Jul 12, 2017.

1. fflur01

fflur01 New commenter

I've been researching bits about Barry Smith and Jess Lund's approach to teaching MFL for a while now. I'm super keen on thinking about developing a new schemes of work for KS3 and 4 which include these knowledge organisers but that can also bring in our own Studio course books.
    Has anyone tried to create their own knowledge organisers in the style of Michaela (parallel texts, verbs in bold etc)?

2. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Nope. I like my way. Different doesn't mean wrong. Or does it? Hmmmmmm......

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Good to see we are clear on that.

4. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I have been converting my vocabulary 'help sheets' to knowledge organisers and adding on chunks and sentences to learn. However as I do not work in a school where pupils are being asked to learn huge amounts by all subjects it is hard to get the children to put in enough effort to learning. I have probably underestimated the importance of having a whole school culture for learning by heart.

5. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Or are we? Hmmmm.....

6. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

What are the exam results like at that school? Oh yeah, there aren't any...

7. minka1

Should a school only be judged by exam results?

8. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

9. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

10. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

Don't like naming names and teachers are teachers not politicians or celebrities but I'm fairly sure one of the named teachers in this thread has left/ is leaving Michaela. Was in a press release from one of my local schools.

Another teacher from that school repeatedly appeared in my twitter timeline very confidently saying they had perfected teaching and how delightful it was to work at the school. Every day was an utter joy and all schools should be like that.

Had gone quiet recently and I looked the teacher up and they were working for a thinktank. According to their online profile they'd taught for a grand total of 3 years, including 2 in a school with only a Yr7 and Yr 8.

Not saying they don't have some good ideas or things that others can learn from but some humility would not go amiss.

sam enerve and sabrinakat like this.
  11. gianfrancoconti1966

gianfrancoconti1966 Occasional commenter

Yes, Barry Smith has left and he is the main man behind the whole 'Michaela way'. I do like Jessica Lund as she is very passionate about what she does and has learnt a lot from Barry but it is undeniable that she has never taught beyond KS3 and she will have a lot on her plate after Barry's departure.

I do believe that there is no harm in taking a few ideas from Barry Smith, but I would be a bit more careful before changing my whole approach based on a few blogs or even a book.

We often look for a panacea a quick solution to our problems but when it comes to teaching there is none. Barry Smith is a charismatic person with excellent classroom management and a powerful personality. His method befits him. Would it fit your personality, teaching style and preferences?

Finally, not all that glitters is gold. Whilst there are a lot of things Barry does that really appeal to me he has not at all convincingly talked or written of how to develop oral spontaneity; in fact, he never deals with it. Yet, too me, that's the first and most important goal in MFL teaching.

Good luck!

minka1 likes this.
  12. minka1

Has anybody here on TES forums actually visited the school like spsmith45 who gives a balanced view after his visit?

13. gianfrancoconti1966

gianfrancoconti1966 Occasional commenter

I have spoken to Steve extensively and had conversations with Jessica. But have no visited the school. No.

minka1 likes this.
  14. minka1

This video from Festival of Education 2017 may help to give a balanced view.