1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

**THE MFL GAMES THREAD**

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by deleted477, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Where is the thread for this, geekie?

Thanks

2. Yeah, I saw it in passing the other day and now I can't find it! Any clues?

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

4. THANK YOU! That's great.

5. My class loves "Round the World." Using flashcards of the target vocab, the first child stands behind the second. You then quickly show them the flashcard and the first to say the correct word moves behind the third child, whoever lost sits (or remains sitting) in the second child's seat. the object of the game is to get all the way round the class and back to your seat first.

6. if anyone lives near whitley bay and is looking for fly swats the hardware shop at the bottom of park view has them in for 25p in different colours- fab:)

7. I used to play 'What's the time Mr Wolf' in French and German as an outdoor game with my pupils. Great for practising the time....obviously!

I gave up teaching temporarily at Xmas time (too much going on in family life) but I'm really pleased to see that this thread lives on! Thanks again for your contributions to it, and a big thank you to the poster who put all the games into a list. Very useful!

Best wishes,Jen xx

8. I use one game as a plenary at the end of a lesson, when we have been outside. It is just to "round up" positive feelings and revise opinions and complementing each other.
    "Ten steps game"
    The students stand outside, however they feel comfortable. Each one has ten steps which they can use in order to get close to the people they like.

Everbody starts walking in the same moment: 2 steps at first. Then there is a moment, when they can look around to see, where the others have moved to. After that the take 5 steps and then finish off with 3 steps.

In the end everybody stands close to others they like and now can say something nice:
    "du bist sehr freundlich", "ich finde dich sehr nett", "du siehst sehr gut aus" etc.

Note: the class should know each other quite well and there should be generally a good atmosphere in the group. You might want to address the issue of outsiders and respect beforehand or after the lesson.

It is sometimes quite touching, how lovely they talk to each other and you will have some students leaving the lesson with a little halo ;-)

9. I just remembered another activity that I would like to add. We had a student leaving our y7 group due to housemove. I planned some activities about describing people and the I gave a coloured card to each student. They were asked to write a short card to this student following the model:

Lieber Ben,
    du bist sehr freundlich und sehr sportlich. Dein Lieblingsfach ist Mathe und du bist auch ziemlich gut in Deutsch. Ich finde dich sehr kreativ und total lustig.
    Ich werde dich vermissen.
    Deine Charlotte

During that time the student (Ben) was asked to write a short letter to his form tutor in German, which we passed on together.

Ben's letters were read in the lesson and then packed and sealed in an envelope for him to take with him.

10. I've thought of a couple of things I've tried in the past that have worked well...

Firstly 'pass the parcel'. Basically have a box/envelope that can be passed around the room to music. When the music stops the pupils holding the box must pic out at card (it could have a pic/sentence to order/question etc) and say whatever goes with the card in the target language. This works particularly well with the Mission Impossible theme tune. If you have a large class you can add in more boxes or have groups with their own boxes.

Another activity is 'hot seating'. A pupil comes and sits at the front of the class. You are going to ask them 10 things (ques, vocab, pic to identify etc). The rest of the class write down the no's 1 - 10. You tell the pupil in the 'hot seat' that they must make some mistakes (takes the pressure off). As he/she answers the questions the rest of the class make a note of whether the answers are correct or not (teacher needs to do this too!) and when finished the class can discuss the results. If you feel like it you could take in a hat for the pupil at the front to wear or I noticed Tesco's are selling huge foam microphones which could be fun!

I also play alot of group 'memory' / 'pairs' games - pupils have cards with pictures on and other cards with words/phrases on. Turn all the cards over so the pics/words can't be seen and take it in turn to turn over 2. If you find a matching pair, pick it up. Winner has most cards at end.

I'll add other activities as I think of them.
    Thanks to everyone else who's added idea's, I've been inspired by them, so thought I'd do my bit too!

11. runaway

runaway New commenter

I have just copied and pasted these ideas all into a powerpoint for people to share over in resources - thanks for these great ideas and to JennyD in particular for starting such a magnificent thread

[​IMG]

12. Lynnehiggs

Lynnehiggs New commenter

I have loved reading this thread! I often do two games:
    Blockbusters: split class into two teams, have blockbusters hexagons on OHT with first letters of ANY vocabulary/structures you are practising. Half of class have to get a line horizontally, the other half vertically by saying the correct language. I then copy this for them to do the same activity in pairs or groups (with an answer sheet).
    Battleships: Boys LOVE this! create a grid with the first half of sentences on the left, and the second half at the top (sentences must be interchangeable ie J'adore/je deteste/j'aime/je n'aime pas, and sports) Pupils write in crosses (boats) and then attempt to sink their partners boats by saying the sentences. I have done this with yr 7 (sports/subjects) and yr 10 (different tenses) and they love it.
    Lynne x

13. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Battleships works well with verb conjugations.

14. I also use "choices gates" as a game to get them speaking and before a piece of writing. It also gets them listening to each other.
    Write out a paragraph but with several opinions (usually in a coloured box) for key peices of information
    e.g. j'habite dans une petite maison en angleterre avec ma mere
    un grand appartment mon pere
    une ferme enorme ma famille
    The pupils read through the sentences, each time they get to a choice (coloured box) they pick and read out one option. If it matches what you have written down they keep going, if it doesn't match someone else starts right from the begining. The winner is the pupil who reaches the end.

15. TheSpanishClassroom

TheSpanishClassroom New commenter

Here are a few of my favourites:

• A game I played when I was at school and now use with my classes is 'strip bingo'. Sts fold a piece of paper into 6 strips (this requires quite a bit of modelling!). Then write a word or phrase on each part of the paper. T says vocabulary and if they have it at the top or bottom of their paper they can 'strip' it off.
    • Blockbusters is a really great one - I put pictures of key vocabulary into each hexagon and sts take it in turns to say the vocabulary. First team to go across the board wins.
    • Sts draw a picture of vocabulary on their board or hold a flashcard. I say vocabulary and if they have it they sit down. Last student standing wins.
    • Quick flash/slow reveal - show the flashcard quickly or slowly reveal a bit of it. Sts put their hand up to say what it is.
    There's lots more but here are just a few!