1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

**THE MFL GAMES THREAD**

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by deleted477, Nov 22, 2007.

1. re: atantot. You don't need to subscribe for penalties because atantot-extra.co.uk is still free. I like penalties but "grade" (deal or no deal) is even better!

an old fave of mine is Jeopardy - i play this on the ohp but there is a computerised version available on the internet somewhere. Pick four sub-topic headings and make 5 questions for each, ranging from 100 to 500 euros. (100 will be dead easy like "j'ai un hamster, 500 will be super hard). Team with the most money at the end wins. All you have to do is write 20 questions but my lot love it for some reason. It is very good for pre-test revision lessons.

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This is a great thread!
    I tried the telepathy game (post 18) with my Year 6 classes today and they loved it.
    Keep them coming...

3. Am about to steal the Fred game, but having to Freddies in the class its about to become "trouvez Tintin"!! Thanks for the inspiration!

For refreshing questions,I carry a small, soft juggling ball. I ask someone a question and if they answer correctly, I throw the ball to them. They then choose someone to ask and pass the ball on if the answer is correct...etc. Don't know why but year 7 seem to love this.

4. Petite Joueuse, I used your "telepathy" game, too!

I was a bit worried that my class wouldn't stay focused for long enough to play it with elmination and a final winner, so I just divided the class into two and for each one I did, I gave points to both sides. (e.g. 3 points if three students had guessed correctly.) I used it to practise new iregular verb. They had to guess which part I had written.

The game was a big success - I teach more than one class at the same level, so I have a built-in "Success of Activity" monitor. Sure enough, the afternoon students come in asking whether they were going to be doing mind-reading, too!

And, more importantly, perhaps, they seem to be remembering the verb parts. I had an observation during one lesson, so I was doubly grateful for your idea. Many thanks!

5. I was at a school once where they played a game called 'corners'. The kids used to love it but I can't for the life of me remember what the rules were - although it did involve the 4 corners of a room.
    Any help out there?!

6. Yes, 'les quatre coins' as it is known in French. It really is a game for the little 'uns but they do enjoy it.
    Stick flashcards around the room to represent the vocab you have been covering. Teacher turns back to class and ideally, has some French music playing. When the music stops (or when you call 'arretez!'), the kids have to go and stand by one of the flashcards. Winners are the pupils/pupil standing by the one you have called out.
    This sound familiar?!

7. It was more of a group of them standing in the corners to start with..??
    Might try your idea though.
    Thank you.

8. We used to play a game like that in maths. Four people, one in each corner and then we had to answer questions. If we answered one correctly we were allowed to moveon to the next corner. The first person to make it round the room wins. Suppose you can also play that with Vocabulary or even grammatical questions!

9. Okay - not really a game but a quiz idea and thought it might be helpful in the run-up to Christmas. It encourages them to use dictionaries and they have to find the names of the pop groups. In small teams I give them a sheet with some 'cryptic' clues on and they have to work out the name of the artist or group
    e.g. 'falaise riche dur' would be 'cliff rich hard' = Cliff Richard! I have used it with Years 7 + 8 and they loved it enough to go and design their own questions.

10. Hey!

Just thought I would share a game I used as an English assistant, but would work in any language.

On one side write a list of phrases with a word missing at the end...

On the other side jumble up the missing last words and they have to pick a random number to complete the sentence.

For example

*I went to the shop today to buy a... // Mum
    *I love the meals that are cooked by my... // Donkey
    *When I go to the beach, I always ride the... // Potatoes

You get some crazy sentences, and it tends to be a good laugh!
    In the case, you would say for example... "I went the shop today to buy... A"
    And then you reveal and the sentence would be that they went to buy a mum. Good for vocab practice when you have to teach a group of words in an interesting way, either as a starter or as a summary at the end.

Jason
    x

11. *The example was supposed to be POTATO, not potatoes.

12. Musn't pause/hesitate game.

Let's say the class has learnt colours today.

Get all the class stood up & have an object to point with such as a ruler.
    Go round the room pointing at students, when you point at them they have to say a colour in the TL, which has not already been said in that round & there must be no 'errrms or errrrrs'. A round lasts until a person is out & when out, they sit down & then all vocab can be used again during the next round.
    The winner is the last one standing & gets a small prize.

13. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

14. ä ö ü ? ß ? ? ? ? â ç
    just because I can!

15. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Just to let you know..

During a knockout game in a French Scrabble competition, one pair drew the letter 'Y' among their 7 tiles, and placed it on the middle square as a start to the game.

Not only did they get 20 points for a double 10, the other pair gave up.

16. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

There is a rule in Scrabble that says the first word must be at least two letters.

Placing the First Word:
    The first player combines two or more of the tiles to form a word and places them on the board to read either across or down with one tile on the centre square (star). Diagonal words are not permitted.

But hats off to them anyway. Smart alecs!

17. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Thanks for that, Pierre.

Now I can avoid recurrence of that non-match.

And I'll take a more careful look at the French rules.

18. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

19. Just had to say I tried out the FRED game with my bottom set year 9's to practise illness vocab; pupil had to ask "Qu'est-ce qu'il y a?" until he found the person with "j'ai mal a la tete". They loved it and even managed to remember some of the vocab for a change so thanks for the idea. Keep them coming!