1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

**THE MFL GAMES THREAD**

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by deleted477, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Do you, like me, sometimes feel that your use of games in the MFL classroom is getting a bit stale and that you tend to stick to the same old few.

Now that the end of term is approaching and we might consider using a few more games in the last few days, I thought it would be a good idea if we could start a thread with ideas for fun MFL games.

Please add a game if you choose to read! Looking forward to (hopefully!) receiving your suggestions.

Game name: la pomme empoisonnee (poison apple)
    materials needed: small card 'apples' in a variety of colours
    to practise: colours, idea of adj.(in this case, colour) coming after noun
    year group: younger pupils, eg. yrs 7 & 8

Show the apples to the pupils, practise the colours 'c'est la pomme rouge', etc.
    Volunteer goes to other side of classroom and turns back to class. We decide on an apple to be 'poisoned' and pretend to sprinkle it on.
    Volunteer comes back and pretends to munch his way on the apples, taking each one in turn and saying what it is: 'c'est la pomme verte..jaune...bleue...etc. etc.
    When he gets to the poisoned one, the class shriek out 'tu es mort', or whatever 'you're dead' is in the TL. They get to then do practice convulsions which they love! Winner is the person who manages to collect the most safe apples.

I did mean for this thread to contain general vocag games, but this is all I have time to post right now.

What's your favourite game?

2. sorry for typos: munch *through* (not on!) and *vocab*

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Teaching boys, as I do, I find that the penalty shootout (atantot et al) is all I need. Never fails!

(And I have to say that Queen Victoria in goal, as we had this morning, was a mighty improvement on the feignant masquerading as a goalie in the England team last night!)

4. I teach boys too! Please could you explain penalty shootout. Many thanks!

5. Oooo I like the idea of this thread!What can I add?

Hmmmm....

Playing 21s (yes, the drinking game!) with vocabulary. All pupils stand and one by one have to spell out a piece of vocabulary, but nobody knows who is going to say the next letter. If two (or more) people say it at the same time then they are out! Keep going till you have just two people left.

Gap fill around the room. Put the words for a gap fill tasks on pieces of paper stuck around the room and get the students to find them and then figure out where they go.

Hows that for now?
    LL

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Hi Jenny,
    The penalty shootout comes via Atantot, which is now subscription, so I can't post a link.
    However, the game is licensed to Content Generator.net - so here's a link to that, where you can see how the game works. Mind you the Atantot subscription is well worth it, imo.

http://www.contentgenerator.net/

7. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

you don't need to subscribe to atantot to be able to access the penalty thing! (I don't!)

8. there is a Spanish version of penalty shootout I believe, from the same site. Plus many other games just as good.

9. Not having a projector or IWB in my class means I have become very adept at using an OHP for my games.

Personal fave: and one that my year 9 set 3 French love!!

Turn your OHP on, put pieces of realia on the base eg. pen, ruler, pencil, pencil case, sharpener. Point to the objects on the board, and get pupils to repeat the vocab. Then turn OHP off, take an object away "Was fehlt?" (what's missing?) and pupils have to go through vocab. They love it....espesh if you split them into teams - boys ALWAYS win for some reason.......lalalalalala

10. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Nice one colvie.

I tried it, but the OHP collapsed.... what games do you play with items of furniture?

11. mpc

mpc

I too work with boys. 'Bingo' is very much a favourite - any list of key words can be numbered and used. Also popular is 'Psychic Powers'. Students are given a finite list of words/phrases (1-10, for example) and have to guess the number in my head. This activity encourages boys to listen to others speaking too so that they don't repeat a number, blow their chances of winning! I keep a supply of small sweets as prizes. Jamie Oliver wouldn't approve. www.classtools.net is brilliant too for making arcade type games although I appreciate not everyone has Internet access in their teaching rooms. Collective memory is also a favourite especially with lower ability students. I make a rough drawing on a given topic. Each group sends up a representative one at a time, looks at my original for 10 secs or so and then has to report back to their team. I award extra points for writing the Spanish words too. Hope this all makes sense.

12. My kids love the Fred game. Two kids are sent out. One kid in class is Fred. The two kids who were sent out come back in and ask questions until they find Fred, e.g. Wie heißt du? Ich heiße Fred.
    You can play it with other vocab as well...and it gets the kids talking.

13. I play a variation of the old favourite 'touch the picture'.
    Items of vocabulary or pictures to represent vocab(without translations)are up on the board. I use a projector screen or you can do this with an IWB as long as you lock all the items in place.

I ask for 2 volunteers and the come to the front and they are each given a different coloured feather duster.(Kids like it and they are soft so they don't damage the board!)I say 3 TL phrases/words and kids have to touch the correct item as fast as they can. The game is out of 3 and the winner gets to have another go.
    To reinforce the spoken element, after a few examples I ask for another student to be the teacher and say the 3 phrases instead of me.
    This is a great plenary as it is quick and it really gets the competition going! I also use the dusters as pointers too!

14. RE post 13 - using old fashioned plastic flyswatters are fun too!

15. Heads down thumbs up with realia or flashcards, don't know why they love it, but they do...!

16. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

What's heads down, thumbs up? I'm getting really inspired by these (primary).

17. Choose a few pupils to stand at the front. Give them a 'new name' using the vocab you have been teaching eg. Monsieur pomme, madame banane etc.
    The rest of the class put their heads on the table (with eyes firmly shut!) and put their thumbs up on the table. Pupils at front then go to one pupil each and put their thumbs down. Go back to front. Those chosen have to stand up and guess (in French, or other target language!) who they think picked them. Those who guess correctly get to take a position at the front, and so it goes on.

I'm glad this thread is going well, folks. THANKS for your great ideas and keep them coming!

18. I do a "telepathy" game!

10 words on the board - key vocab.

Kids all have plastic mini-whiteboards and pens - me too! Kids all stand up. I write (in secret) one of the key words from the board. They all write 1 down too - they reveal their boards to me - I wait till everyone has revealed their board - then I flip mine over for them all to see. If they have matched with me, they can sit down. If not, they rub off their word and we start again (after I have removed the word we just used from the list of 10). In subsequent rounds, those sitting can continue to write down a word "just to see if they really can read my mind". We usually get down to just a few pupils with the last word - amazingly there's usually only one winner.

Stupid game, but they like it. And it gives them lots of practice writing the key words.

19. Some silly games, but very quick:
    Write some random numbers (including negatives) on the board and stick flashcards over them. Students are in teams, they tell you a phrase, you take off the flashcard and that is the number of points they get.

Chorusing games - once you've chorused through a few times, play a "simon says" type game. If you point to something and say the right word, they chorus, if you say the wrong word, they shouldn't. If they say it at the wrong time, you get a point, if they don't, they get a point. When they get more confident, you can swap a student in to pronounce the words. They love beating the teacher at this (first to five points, for example).

With mini WB - I say a word in the TL, they have to draw it as quickly as possible. Points for being first/last/most artistic! I've also done this with reflexive verbs - e.g. I say "me despierto" and they have to write "I" and draw themselves getting out of bed. Bizarre how they find it fun, but they do!

My kids also love games like pictionary, or charades, particularly with pets or daily routine type vocab. Also, games where one person has all the flashcards and chooses one to hold at the front of the pile. The others all guess which one. They also like playing "matching pairs" games with word and picture flashcards.

If you have a smartboard, you can use the flash dice from the gallery to do loads of games where they roll the dice and have to make sentences - e.g. six times, six daily routine words, they roll two dice on the board and have to make sentences for points.

Nothing beats the "slaps" game from post 13 though!

20. connect-4 dates!
    Draw a 6x6 grid and write numbers along one side and months down the other. To get a square they have to give the correct date (can be extended to saying my birthday is...). 2 teams trying to get 4 while blocking the other is great! Can also be used to revise numbers and letters.