1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Man Who Outsold The World

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It seems that 25% of the hit parade, more recently known as the Top 40, is accountable to people who purchased David Bowie albums this week.

That's quite an achievement for a dead musician, but I'm left wondering why, given that you can listen to all of them for free on youtube.

Are these records being bought by people who missed out on his music and have a desire to catch up, given the adulation he's been receiving throughout the media, or is it something macabre that I can't comprehend. in the desire to own a copy of a record which effectively celebrates his death?

What's it all about?

Have record shops been knocking them all out at cut price or something, in the belief that now he's dead, he'll soon be forgotten and it's best to clear out all the old stock as soon as they can?

How is it possible that sufficient copies of his records were available to flog at such short notice? It can only mean one of two things. Either they never sold as many as hoped in the first place, or that the record industry had put its workers on overtime the moment it heard the good news, so far as it was concerned.

Who let on he was unwell?

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Maybe it is people rediscovering Bowie's music. There have been one or two excellent programmes on tv following his death. Am watching one now of a concert from Dublin in 2003, new to both of us. Am still mourning that I never got the chance to see him live and I would have loved to. Alas the ex only ever wished to go and see Dylan.

I know MrREMfan thinks half of his collection, vinyl and box sets for all his heroes are worth £££ too. I have told my girls that they are to take care of my precious R.E.M. collection as it would be very valuable to a fan like myself.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Before you go investing all your savings in vinyl manufacturers in the hope of a quick return, you might want to Google the term 'MP3' ;)

FritzGrade likes this.
  4. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

We're capitalists. We express our feelings through buying stuff.

racroesus and guinnesspuss like this.
  5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Tribute purchases in the first major artist death in the download era.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. FritzGrade

As an aside do you find the fidelity of youtube good enough to play through hifi? Is spotify not superior?

7. Duke of York

I've not attempted to listen to either on the hifi. Just through decent headphones plugged into the computer, which suits me.

Maybe others have and can make comparisons between the two. I've not actually used spotify. I have never encountered a link to it on here, or anywhere else come to that, so maybe it isn't so accessible for sharing.

8. FritzGrade

Listening through headphones attached to a computer can be limiting, that is one reason why peoole buy music to have some mobility.
    Spottfy has an extensive list of streaming music, free if you take the adds. i subscribe to be ad free and stream into the hifi, 320 kbs I think.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Spotify is just brilliant! I listen for free because I don't mind the ads. It's very easy to download, Duke. The best bit is that you can search for pretty much any artist, any era and access most of their work. You can create your own playlists or use the ones put together by Spotify.
    Now, I listened to some of Black Star on Spotify and I have to confess that I don't really like it. I know it's Bowie's requiem and all that, but I just wish he'd left us with something more uplifting. It's just so depressing.

Duke of York likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.