1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The magnetism of mutual loathing among immature children....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inky, Mar 16, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

...seems to be a perverse law of nature. They HATE each other. They aren't necessarily even in the same year group. They KNOW they get a load of grief from mixing with each other.

BUT EVERY FLIPPING PLAYTIME THEY END UP TOGETHER, WINDING EACH OTHER UP AND MAKING LIFE A MISERY FOR DINNER LADIES, FELLOW PUPILS AND TEACHERS.
    Sorry to shout.

2. Totally with you. It's infuriating beyond anything else. EVERY playtime they're involved in a spat. They can be separated and even put in different playgrounds yet somehow they end up causing problems for each other - maybe when they're lining up, or going to the water fountain or going to the loo but somehow they find each other and 'shoulder barge' each other or whatever. They are exhausting to deal with.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

....... and we always trot out 'if you can't say anything nice to each other don't say anything at all' ....... ...... or keep away from each other ............ but do they listen? I agree - very perverse - but it happens!

4. Same at my school. At the moment we have one child by the office, one who stays in the dining hall and another who sticks by a dinner lady because of the trouble they have caused.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why don't we just stick them all in a room and tell them to sort themselves out while we get on with teaching the children who want to learn?
    Sorry - I know that's not the answer but oh it's so very enticing!

6. Very handmaiden's tale.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Maybe a playtime sinbin? It'll never happen but just imagine...

8. Or cage with padlock?

9. I find even that when these kinds of groups manage to be nice to each other, it still causes problems.
    Just today, I've had to force two children to return toys that were "given" to them by a third, because when she inevitably changes her mind as they fall in and out of favour, the fallout isn't worth dealing with.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Saz, you're in need of your regular irony jab.

11. I know. Got any spare?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's running a bit low at the moment, saz. I'm so fed up with the endless moans and groans. [​IMG]

13. Damm!! Need it to get through till end of term!

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

But why are these children attracted to each other? We had an incident today inwhcih the immature Yr 3s tussled with the immature YR 1s. No surprises but why are they all so drawn to each other despite the fact that they suffer as a result? I've been teaching for years but still can't quite understand it.