1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Magic Box, Kit Wright - help!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucywag, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am an NQT with an observation next week. It is a low ability year 4 class (P6-3a) and there will be a TA to work with the SEN group.
    We are starting work on Creating Images and the children will have worked on creating similes and so should (hopefully) be in the poetry frame of mind!
    My last two observations haven't been great for different reasons, and I think my tutor has lost faith in me a bit. I know I have lost faith in myself which doesn't help. Basically, I need to do a really wow lesson to show that I can do it!
    I have got some ideas about what I will do but wondered if anyone has any more exciting ideas for a lively class of mainly boys! Like I said, I'm just really anxious that this one goes well.
    Thank you in advance x

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

When I did it, we looked at The Magic Box first and then made our own poems - My Magic Box of Serenity.
    We did a thesaurus exercise first - going on a trail of suitable words and then used some of the word bank that we had created as inspiration for our own verses.

4. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Could you perform the poem using a 'magic box'? Give children their own boxes and have them describe what they would like to be inside to talk partners?

5. Hey would you be able to kindly send me it too please? tiagofragoso@live.com

6. please can u send it to me too my email is mary_conway2@hotmail.com

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I was once on a training course where Kit Wright spoke and said he'd found children to be very adept at putting things in their own magic boxes.
    (Talking of talking to children about rhythm, he said that a child said that the poet's name made him think of a clock - "kit-wright, kit-wright, kit-wright......)

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sort of going at it from a 'different tangent', whilst obviously you want to motivate and enthuse those boys the main point of the lesson has to have learning at it's core. So, a short target objective which is fairly 'easy to hit' to engender enthusiasm and confidence and then move on to your bigger objective which will stretch them.

9. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I love the magic box poem. I have used it from year 1 to
    low ability year 4's. There is lots of chance for talk partner
    work before you even start writing. I have always found it appeals
    to all.

10. Hi Cally 1980, would you be able to send the lesson plan, please? I would appreciate it very much.

natashajeffrey-75@hotmail.co.uk

11. Hello Cally, would you be able to send your lesson plan to me also (if you still have it)? I would be so so grateful. Thanks vics1980@googlemail.com

12. cas64

cas64 New commenter

I have used magic box poem lots of times with years 3 and 4. Usually use a real box and ask children for ideas of what I could have put in it. Then get them to talk in partners about what they would have in magic box. Have also linked it to topics e.g. a Tudor Box with Tudor related descriptions to put in the box, Christmas Box etc. Use key words and images or objects for lower levels to support them.