1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Lost Happy Endings... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Yes Miss, Apr 12, 2010.

1. I am just planning my next literacy unit around the book The Lost Happy Endings by Carol Ann Duffy and Jane Ray. The Language and illustrations are stunning.

Has anybody used the book before and has any ideas? I really want to do the book justice and make sure my children get the most out of it with their writing.

Thanks guys!

2. Sorry this isn't a helpful post, just an agreement that the book is a wonderful story and when I was teaching Year 2 they loved it! In fact I think that my year 4s would love it as well!
    Good luck with the planning and I hope so other inspired clever clogg can help you out.... my brain has rather switched off due to the holiday season!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I just bought the book so good to hear Y2 enjoyed it

4. Hi Yes Miss!
    I used this book with my Year 6 class as part of a narrative unit. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, but got the kids to do a piece of writing which I then used as the termly writing assessment. We looked at the story up until the point where Jub uses the magic pen. And that's when I let them continue writing the story, thinking up what Jub would have written as the story within the story (if that makes sense!).
    I have to say, their writing was fantastic! They were all really engaged and so keen to write!
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm sure your class with absolutely love it!

5. That's a great idea! Maybe i could get them some golden pens to write with.

May I ask what work you did around the story before they wrote?

Thanks for the help.

6. Sorry Yes Miss, were those questions directed at me?

7. Well, I'll answer anyway.
    We did the writing at the end of a unit on narrative where we had focussed on setting, character description, story openings, etc. We then read the book, discussing the structure as we went along. I read up to the point where Jub took the golden pen and then I stopped. I gave the children opportunity to discuss their ideas with small groups. I then gave them the section from the book just before Jud begins writing and then the bit that starts "When Jub had written the last sentence of her ending..." so the children had to write the bits that went in between (basically, the bits that are in itallics in the book).
    Hope that makes sense? I didn't read them the actual story that was written by Jub until they had finished. And I have to say, I personally think that the children's writing was a lot more creative than the original version...

8. Thank you. Thats really helpful.

9. Hello there I'm a trainee at EHU at I've just read this and was quite shocked by the witch 'burning to death' - were any children in your classrooms fazed or frightened by this? Perhaps I'ma bit out of touch!

10. I realise that this post was written a while ago but I am just about to start planning a unit for Year 5 based on The Lost Happy Endings... so if anyone has any other ideas, planning, or feedback on anything that worked well, it would be really appreciated

thanks guys.

11. I've just planned a unit of work based on 'The Lost Happy Endings' for Year 4 but could easily be used with Year 5. There are some ideas for cross-curricular work too as it's such an inspiring book. I will look into how to attach my planning
    Lisa

12. I've just added my unit planning so if you search under English, termly planning, The Lost Happy Endings you should find it. Hope it helps!
    Lisa
    PS. If you have any ideas of things that have worked well please let me know as I'm teaching it this term as well!