1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The long grass

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35847611

"Planned changes to disability benefits will be "kicked into the long grass", according to a government source.

Chancellor George Osborne faced criticism over the cuts outlined in the Budget, which were likely to affect some 640,000 people.

The changes had been expected to shave £1.3bn a year off the Personal Independence Payments (PIP) bill.

"We need to take time and get reforms right and that will mean looking again at these proposals," the source said."

This is despite government spokesmen spending this week telling us that the cuts had been decided after lengthy consultations with disability charities and the like so they could get it right.

Is it not high time this Mickey Mouse chancellor and the waste of skins that are the Tory party were kicked into the long grass as well, along with the rest of their appalling policies?

kibosh likes this.
  2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i'm not holding my breath.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I really, really hope so.

I utterly despise Osborne, Duncan Smith and their ilk.

kibosh likes this.
  4. inky

inky Lead commenter

If the tories win the next election, they'll do these things anyway and try to justify them on grounds of regrettable necessity.

kibosh likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Are they going to hand out the cyanide pills with the voting slips?

6. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

Don't worry, it will soon be 2020.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is that a date by which the government will have sounded out public opinion, or at the very least, the opinion of Tory MPs on contentious matters like this?