1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 'little extras that they need' ...!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by granddam, Oct 29, 2018.

1. granddam

granddam New commenter

According to the BBC the Chancellor has just given schools a £400 million bonus (averaging £10,000 per primary and £50,000 per secondary) 'to buy the little extras they need'. So what 'little extras' will your school be jumping up and down to buy - pens, pencils, a part time one-year only TA perhaps?

Shedman likes this.
  2. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I fear it will be quickly snaffled up by the pay expectations of the over-blown SLT.

Chance of any of it actually reaching my classroom and the kids I teach? Absolutely zero.

The joy of Academisation, folks.

granddam, lardylegs, Shedman and 6 others like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

5. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

So short sighted - without education nothing else will happen!

Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

So patronising the way he said it. And it won’t even help with the pay rise if it’s only for capital. He obviously wanted to get the message across to the public that headteachers were making a lot of fuss and a pat on the head with a little extra would put it right.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I buy my own glue sticks because we cannot afford any.

TCSC47, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My immediate thought was, 'Little extras?' Some schools are struggling to replace basic equipment such as textbooks and IT replacements which seem so necessary today, let alone 'little extras'. :(

EDIT And as peakster points out in many schools basics suc as glue sticks.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Little extras that schools need - like buildings

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We actually do not have textbooks - they are all online now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Using the term 'little extras' is extremely insulting and infers there is already enough for essentials. What an unrealistic picture to paint for gullible public consumption!

granddam, TCSC47, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Remove all the photocopiers, save a shed load of time and money.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 New commenter

Love the photocopier and the minus balance that comes up on my computer screen, every time I use it. I feel like a criminal for printing off resources and then get told off by my HOD for good measure. That's the least of my problems, but part of the day in the life of a' professional!' Well I thought I was.

strawbs, Catgirl1964 and sabrinakat like this.
  14. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

He makes it sound like these ‘little extras’ are a treat or a bonus. A pack of dry wipe pens or glue sticks are essentials that a lot of schools are finding it harder to afford.

Yet we still get the ‘in real terms schools are getting more money’ trash.

Total clown.

strawbs, JohnJCazorla, TCSC47 and 3 others like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Some might say that : Maybe some dodgy hts and ceos will use it towards expenses. Will those schools get to see it ? :rolleyes:

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

In 2015/16 the average primary school size had risen slighty to around 260 pupils.
    In 2015/16 average secondary school size was 910 pupils.

So secondary schools are, on average, 3.5 times larger than primaries - yet will get on average 5 times more for their 'little extras'.

That doesn't seem fair! Yet again primaries don't get as much funding per pupil as secondaries.

phlogiston, Lara mfl 05 and Grandsire like this.
  17. R13

R13 New commenter

. . . . and yet again Special Schools (There are about 1,000 of us after all) are forgotten completely in a Government statement

18. nsier

nsier New commenter

Photocopying must cost a fortune but as we have no text books we do more of it. All the computers are on their last legs. We are short of chairs so have to grab them from other rooms if we can. Half the gas taps in my lab haven`t worked in over a year.

TCSC47, agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

20. Phuketmark

Phuketmark New commenter

How lovely. I wonder if I can top my print budget up now, being as it is depleted already........Education! Every little extra helps!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.