1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Primary' started by liz0602, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hi, we're looking at fantasy settings in literacy this term and were thinking about The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I just wondered, has anyone shown the BBC TV series (1980's) of this in school? And if so, with what year group? It is a U but just not sure whether children would find it too scary? Thanks

2. Hi, we're looking at fantasy settings in literacy this term and were thinking about The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I just wondered, has anyone shown the BBC TV series (1980's) of this in school? And if so, with what year group? It is a U but just not sure whether children would find it too scary? Thanks

3. I showed it to my Year 5's who found it ridiculous after seeing the film versions.
    Have you seen it lately? Why not ask for parental consent to allow them to watch the film?
    I love this topic. I transform my classroom into narnia - Door covered in brown paper and decorated to look like a wardrobe that they have to walk through - vines hanging from ceiling behind door - green bordette and snow on the floor as they walk through to encounter the lampost.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

My son was shown it in Reception and didnt find it scary at all!

5. I loved that series! Refuse to watch the films they are just not right, I grew up watching the series and listening (every night) to the cassette. You can get them on DVD now but they are very long!

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I showed my Year 4s the BBC version, they really enjoyed it (and I did, too!) and didn't find it at all scary. (I still find Mr Tumnus a bit odd, though. I never did like him!)

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

The BBC TV series trumps the more recent film adaptation a million times over.
    Even if most kids probably wouldn''t agree. Pah, what do they know anyway? [​IMG]

8. I loved the TV series as a child, and have the whole thing on DVD now, but the film is miles better. Even though I have an affection for it, it is totally dated, and some of the acting is dreadful (although the film's acting isn't top notch either IMO!
    My Year 5's would much rather watch the film - they have a pathalogical hatred for anything 'old'!

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Go for DVD, but research carefully.. make sure you know what it is you want to teach here...