1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch. Could somebody point me in the right direction please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rouseau22, Jun 23, 2008.

1. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Hi, i have to teach a twenty minute interview lesson based on this book. It is not specified whether it needs to be a literacy lesson, and I know that this book has been used for science/art/technology. Could anybody give me a clue as to what I might do for this. Ill admit that I am stumped because of the time frame. It is for a yr 1 or yr2 class.
    If anyone could help me I would be so super-grateful you have no idea.

2. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Hi, i have to teach a twenty minute interview lesson based on this book. It is not specified whether it needs to be a literacy lesson, and I know that this book has been used for science/art/technology. Could anybody give me a clue as to what I might do for this. Ill admit that I am stumped because of the time frame. It is for a yr 1 or yr2 class.
    If anyone could help me I would be so super-grateful you have no idea.

3. I taught this on my final placement in year 2 and had to write an assignment on it... I have copied and pasted this from my assignment...

The potential for use in the classroom is very broad. In Literacy the book can be used to develop children?s awareness of fiction texts. Before reading the story there is possible opportunity to study the front cover, author and blurb. The children can be reminded of the aspects of a good story and after reading parts of the story, discussion should arise. This enables the children to work collaboratively and listen to others. They can be encouraged to write simple descriptions of the characters appearances and feelings. The book allows for practicing story sequencing, studying of contrasting images and examination of unfamiliar language. Throughout the book, as the children read aloud they are encouraged to sound out unfamiliar words, therefore building upon phonic development.

The class could discuss favourite meals and use this as a basis for instruction writing. To coincide with PSHE, the children can be encouraged to write about when they have had a problem that needed to be solved or when they have asked to do something that they did not want to do (The story details Mrs Grinling sending Hamish the cat across in the basket to scare the seagulls). Poetry can be introduced through relating to the characters thoughts and feelings, for example, how Hamish feels being sent across the water. The class could be arranged into groups and role-play the personalities of the characters or the conversations being held using dressing up clothes and props. Individual extended stories can be produced based on a seaside/ lighthouse setting, this allows for the children to express their imagination based on the images that the story has conjured up.

?The Lighthouse Keeper?s Lunch? provides opportunity in Geography to study the features of coastlines and how these can be identified on a map. By developing the children?s map skills this makes them aware of locations other than where they live and allows them to make similarities and differences. The children could also use research skills through reference books or the internet to study Lighthouses or seaside towns. In History, the class can extend their geographical knowledge of seaside towns to permeate their historical knowledge. The history of the seaside can introduce areas such as swimwear, activities and entertainment (Punch and Judy) and souvenirs. The children can use this information to contrast to the current day.

In Science the book can link to the topics of healthy eating (although Mr Grinling?s lunch is not so healthy) and Electricity. The children could create a model lighthouse in Art and Design and then experiment with circuits to create a light. Art and Design also gives opportunity for painting coastlines, observational drawings of seaside objects such as shells or junk modelling sea scenes. To link back to Punch and Judy, the children could design and make a puppet of Hamish the cat. Seaside shanty songs can be sung in Music to develop rhythm and instruments can be introduced to recreate the sounds of the seaside. Music can also be used to encourage dance, the children can explore the movement of the sea and sea creatures.

We did heaps of things...
    Literacy- Character descriptions
    Literacy- feelings poems of hamish the cat in the basket
    Literacy- wanted posters for the seagulls
    loads of role play
    ICT- seaside binary trees
    DT- Puppets
    Art- seascenes in shoe boxes
    History- seaside holidays in the past
    Geography- studying lighthouses
    Science- making a light for the lighthouse

If any of these sound any good, leave me your email and i'll send you the plan. x

4. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

As I only have 20 minutes i was thinking along the lines of making sandwiches/thinking up disgusting fillings to keep the seagulls away, using lots of adjectives ect. do you have anything close to that?

rouseau22@hotmail.com

5. That's a great idea... I wish I had thought of that! Haha!
    I'm sorry, I don't have anything along those lines. x

6. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Thanks for your support tho michy!

wish me luck, i hate whole class teaching in brief amounts of time, i never know how to structure it.

7. This sounds brilliant. I am doing The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch for my topic this term. My first term in KS1. Any chance I could have some ideas from your plans? helenclil1@btinternet.com. Would be so grateful :).

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

9. You could get the children to design their own horrible sandwiches to scare away the seagulls. They can then describe the sandwich. I got some amazing work from my y1s and they were so enthusiastic about it.
    Also we did some brilliant work on speech bubbles. Could think of other ways to get rid of the seagulls. We also made iced sea biscuits, a massive class collage.
    There is soo much you can do with this book and the children love it. If its an interview lesson the sandwiches are good though. You could even have your lower group actually making the sandwiches.
    Hope that helps

10. Yucky sandwiches always goes down well! Or how about a problem solving activity of how else they could get the lunch over to Mr Grinling in a bird proof way? I had them discussing it in groups and drawing a plan. Lots of great S&L came from the session, plus thinking skills / problem solving.