1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Aug 18, 2007.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Has anyone used this book with KS1 and could suggest connected activities? Thanks :) (I will be teaching Y2)

2. takethatno1fan

Has anyone used this book with KS1 and could suggest connected activities? Thanks :) (I will be teaching Y2)

3. Designing a lighthouse with electric light - bulb and circuit - electricity science

Pulleys to send picnic basket across the water - science

Design a sandwich - healthy foods - DT and science links

Which materials will keep the lighthousekeeper drier the longest or warmer the longest - science fair testing links

4. In my uni course we made little compartments to carry the lunch across the water, then tested them with a satsuma and a piece of string. we also had to write instructions on how to make them so someone else could.. which is a nice idea for older children.

5. Did this last year with my Yr 2, loved it. Did same as Opera Diva and geog making maps, water- forces, puppet theatre with photocopied characters from book laminated.

6. In my last school one class wrote their own light house keepers book and illustrated it then sent it off to the authors. They got a specially designed and signed front cover for their book from the authors!

7. We got some lovely writing by setting a problem solving exercise:"How would you get the lunch to the light house safely?" We discussed it as a class in talk partners first.Some of the children did point out that she could just row across to the light house and save all the fuss...
    And there is a book of ideas that goes with the story. maths can be patterns of numbers going up the partitions in the light houses. also a problem solving one to see how many fish in each rock pool on the beach.

8. takethatno1fan

Does anyone know what the book of ideas is called that goes with the book?

9. We looked at a number of Lighthouse Keeper's stories in summer term as part of our learning context, "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside!" We read, Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch, Lighthouse Keeper's Cat, and the Lighthouse Keeper's Picnic!
    The kids loved them.
    As opera diva suggested we also linked our electricity work to topic and made a model of a lighthouse, with circuit etc.
    In our literacy work we wrote the next lighthouse keeper story: the lighthouse keeper's broken light and the children wrote some wonderful stories!
    Also lots of map work linked to the seaside, features of coastal towns.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

11. we made light houses using pringle cans and those plastic measuring cups that come on top of laundry detergent. we wired then insides with batteries and bulbs. put a switch on them and childrne could make them blink. it was cool...

12. the book is from Scholastic: Maths and story time
    issue number 21 published may 2000
    ISBN: 1467-1352

13. takethatno1fan

thelmaward - thanks for the book info - but I still can't track it down.

Is Maths and Story Time the full title?

14. I did this with a year 1 class so don't know if these activities would be appropriate, but we did shopping lists for a picnic, captions/labels for picnic contents, instructions for making a sandwich.