1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“The liberal idea has become obsolete...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 28, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

...It has come into conflict with the interests of the overwhelming majority of the population." (Vladimir Putin, in an interview in the Financial Times). Discuss.

I'll contrast Putin with Donald Tusk's counter-statement:
    "“I strongly disagree with the main argument that liberalism is obsolete. Whoever claims that liberal democracy is obsolete, also claims that freedoms are obsolete, that the rule of law is obsolete and that human rights are obsolete,” he said. “For us in Europe, these are and will remain essential and vibrant values. What I find really obsolete are: authoritarianism, personality cults, the rule of oligarchs. Even if sometimes they may seem effective.”"

So who do you agree with more, Putin or Tusk?

Tusk every time for me.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Tusk, and to protect ALL of Europe (Sorry about this) we need to stay in the EU.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, Vlad.

You wouldn't want him babysitting your kids would you?

neddyfonk likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Tusk was spot on.
    I liked TMs frosty approach to Putin, although she is just there to make up the numbers. Worrying was Trump cozying up to Putin and his inappropriate jokes with the Russian despot about getting rid of journalists.

5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Vlad the Impaler

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

These days I tend to think most politicians are speaking to their base wherever they are. Putin doesn't want Russia to adopt an approach that might be a threat to the status quo and it's just a cheap shot, possibly even belated revenge for the narrative from the west that the Communist experiment failed and is over.

We need to oppose ideas like his, Tusk was right.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The photo is wonderful - she could almost have held her nose with the other hand:

upload_2019-6-29_8-44-12.jpeg

catmother and chelsea2 like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I bet she wiped her nose with her right hand a few seconds before the photo call. :)

9. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Two of the most illiberal people in world politics.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Putin wilfully confuses liberal with progressive.

And Tusk is a superstate wierdo

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Define liberal.

chelsea2 and lanokia like this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

Could you explain what you mean? (You can apply the same term to Trump, but Tusk is not in the same league as Trump).

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I mean that in my opinion Tusk is a wierdo and in charge of a superstate [a collection of states accepting greater supranational authority].

Hey look... I can answer your questions when you ask...

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Lucky old Russia to have such an enlightened and benevolent dictator to guide them.

Trust Daddy Putin to tell you what you need. Put your faith in him. :rolleyes:

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

This is now my favourite photo of the year!

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Boris will soon be here for us all to admire and look up to.

/s

17. Ivartheboneless

That is fair enough. The EU can be regarded as a "superstate" in that regard. And there are some problems with power in the hands of officials who have not been part of the democratic process.That does not mean that we would be better off as a country outside it, and with the foot stamping of Russia and Trump I think all of Europe would be better sticking together. It is in Trump's and Putin's interest to separate us from the EU, but only in order to make us subservient to them. If we stay in the EU it can be changed from within, a process that has actually being in progress since it started. The EU certainly ain't perfect, but do we want to be the 51st state, or subservient to Putin's oligarchy.