1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The level 3 qualification minefield- please help!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Ophelia 9, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

My LEA lists the following BTEC courses as accepted Level 3 qualifications:
    BTEC National Diploma (2 years); Caring Services (Nursery Nursing) (now withdrawn);
    BTEC National Diploma in Childhood Studies (Nursery Nursing) (now withdrawn);
    BTEC National Diploma Early Years and Childhood Studies;
    BTEC National Diploma early Years Care and Education;
    BTEC Level 3 Certificate for Teaching Assistants;
    BTEC National Diploma Early Years;
    so I would say that your qualification is indeed equivalent to NVQ 3 and that the staff in your HR department are not long-serving so don't know about 'older' qualifications! Our LEA is generally quite 'tough' when it comes to qualifications - anyone wanting to be an HLTA has to go through the assessment process even if they've got multiple PHds and the Nobel prize!
    It is possible that if you are looking for work outside of Early Years, it may be considered you do not have experience in a 'relevant discipline' though, as your qualification is specific to that phase. Your Local Authority should really have a list of equivalent qualifications somewhere - try googling and see if you can find one from another area so you can prove your point to them.

2. Thank you, I never thought about that- with my qualification being an older one perhaps it's not recognised by younger/newer staff! I will research further and try to clarify, thank you.