1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The laziest y11s ever?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by bigpedro, Apr 6, 2011.

1. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Or.... Teletubbies, The Spice Girls, Pokemon, widespread internet? but yeah, you're probably right. lol

2. our year 11 are not great either - it is the behaviour and the failure of anyone to deal with it before about now...

3. It was the introduction of the 'No Exclusion' behaviour management policy by the labour government (and continued by Gove), coupled with GCSE league tables and targets for the % of 5 A-Cs.
    By making schools responsible (including financially) for the education of excluded pupils, schools have introduced behaviour management policies that make it much harder to exclude a pupil from the teaching room, ignore behaviour outside of the classroom and scaled back external exclusions in favour of internal ones. This has massively massaged the behaviour figures.
    The pupils have learned that there are now no 'effective' sanctions for bad behaviour and lack of cooperation with the learning ethos, whilst at the same time schools are being pushed to improve results, and will thus bend over backwards to all but do the exam for them.
    What can we expect but this behaviour?
    I have long since decided to simply let them fail. I tell mine that if they can't be bothered to work, *** off and have a fag somewhere else. My dept colleague works tons of extra hours and it gets him nowhere. With very similar classes, he got 60% pass rate, I got 80%. I had a much higher absence rate in the early months - of those who couldn't be bothered. He worked hard to keep them in his class. I didn't. Some eventually came back and by then the rest of the class had got the work ethos. Meanwhile I could hear him blow a fuse every lesson he had his.
    You can see this in the frustrated words of the Darwen teachers. The HT says there isn't a problem. The stats show that there isn't. Because they have been massaged.

4. ICT Don

ICT Don New commenter

Couldn't agree more. I want the pupils I teach to get what they deserve. I find it sad that the hard working pupils get little credit for what they achieve because the dross somehow manage to do no work and still get almost similar grades.

5. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

When my sister left school at 16 she had 4 C's and got a job for life. At 48 she has a house paid in cash, a fantastic pension and no worries. Her friends, who was thought Paris was the capital of Egypt (I'm not making this up as I tried to teach her some geography before a job interview! And I knew more at primary) got her first job at 16 in a travel agency.

Even when I left school everyone got jobs. You needed a mature outlook to be emoyable but no qualifications. That was after the great industrial distraction of thatcher but still jobs for youngsters. A few had YTS but still got jobs. You were an adult and expected to behave like one.

Now? No jobs in my London borough for 16 year olds! Not one. So the year 11s act like year 5s and tell me "we will behave in college". School has no relevance to there lives with expensive mobile phones, wild parties and etc. Even the laziest boys have a gf, a phone, cash to booze and what do they want for?

So they behave like kids as ther is no need to act like adults. But they want adult things and fun but without the responsibilities.

I've been readings book called a jilted generation. Yes we have screwed up this generation's future. Yes parents have added to their woes by spiking them rotten. Yes we have an education system that talks of inclusion and every child matters but doesn't realise that to have both takes serious cash.

I would act the way they do in their circumstances. Why work?

6. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

I've got iPhoneitus - it randomly changes what I am typing spiking=spoiling grhhhhh

7. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Ours are too.. Consistent improvement year on year in my subject - not this time! Seem to have worked a lot harder this year for less outcome. That and exam board problems, spending cuts and EnBacc affecting our subject....oh dear...can't wait for that justification day!

8. Dont worry about it as mine are
    (i) Going for a X-factor Audition in the summer
    (ii) Going to be a pro footballer (they are not in the current y11 school team though)
    (iii) Work for their day as "Their dad will get them a job"
    About 20% of mine will work for it, 60% are apathetic and will probably read their book the night before (yet will still not come with the correct kit) and the other 20 actively dont learn and to some extent dicourage it to others.

9. On paper I have practically the same group as last year (Predicted Gs/Fs/Es) but we got so much more done last year! Last year the group had a few 'challenging characters' but most of the students wanted to do well even though they found maths hard. The year 11s I have this year just want to stare into space every lesson and complain that I have predicted them low grades...

10. Our yr 11 are a real dip in the statistics. I think the tail is so much longer this year. Maybe it's a case of the tail wagging the dog?
    This year suffers from Wacky Warehouse syndrome (I know I was there, a bit, with an offspring in this year). They were born into a time when parents decided that their little darlings should spend all their time going to Wacky Warehouse parties and pizza hut parties and being indulged left, right and centre, and spoiled rotten. They have grown up through constantly expanding party venues, culminating in quad bikes and paintballing. They now think a) they have a right to be entertained constantly, b) can't sit still, c) shout at you when you are 2 feet away and d) can't concentrate on a topic of conversation for longer than 45 seconds without changing the subject.
    And what triggered the Wacky warehouse syndrome.
    Bouncy Castles.
    We we fine until the overstimulation that is Bouncy castles arrived in the 1990s.
    (My mother thinks it was our generation where the rot set in with Party Bag syndrome from our childhood parties)
    Oh and I could definitely agree with the previous poster who laid some of the blame at the door of the Teletubbies.

11. Aww shucks, I thought my class had become famous and had a thread named after them, but it seems they are not alone. I would just like to say, however, that this is unlikely to be confined to Y11. While everybody, even the kids in the deprived area where I teach, has access to all the latest gadgets and possessions regardless of income, there is no desire to gain qualifications and get jobs. How depressing.