1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The law and releasing primary age children at the end of the school day

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Trapin1, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

I'm a NQT in a year 5/6 class and have been asked to take my turn occasionally standing at the door where the year 3,4,5 and 6 children exit at the end of the day, which is at the back of the school. I'm bemused by the fact that I have no idea who most of these children go home with and the fact that most of their parents/carers wait at the school gates round at the front of the school. On the occasions I have done it, I have had to cajole a year 4 boy, who is suspect autistic and currently undergoing appraisal, to wait until either his gran or mum come for him and even then I have to take his word that the woman he points to and says is his mum actually is.
    Whilst many of my yr 5/6 children are collected (because they need transport) some go home alone.
    My question is, is there a law regarding the collection/release of children that dictates school policy (and where can I find it?) or does this haphazzard system happen elsewhere?
    I do intend to speak to my head teacher but would like to hear how other schools manage hometime.

2. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

I don't know about the legal aspects; all I can do is let you know how my school does it! Class teachers all bring their classes into the yard at the end of the day. Teachers hand chn over to a known adult. We expect all KS1 children to be collected by a parent. KS2 parents sign a release to let their children go without adult supervision, the others are handed over (teachers maintain a list of "adults" for each child).
    In one of my previous schools, the bell went and we just let the kids go out of the classroom - no one knew how they got home!

3. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

mickeyforpresident, it's bizarre isn't it. This afternoon one of my LAC children, whose foster carers are on holiday, was collected by the male friend of the carers' daughter who is taking care of her while they're away. We didn't even know his surname or have a contact telephone number for him until he turned up 20 minutes late! Is this safeguarding?

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Most schools I have worked in had a policy of; 'the bell has gone off you go'. However at my current school where I am the HT we have a very strict policy. Each child is handed over by the class teacher to the parent or designated adult with parental responsibility. Only children in Y6 with written and signed permission are allowed to walk home alone.
    If I have responsibility for a school of children I want to be comfortable that we have 'signed over responsibility' appropriately at the end of the day. If there is a change of who is picking a child up we need to be notified by the adult with parental responsibility in advance.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It has always been thus. If it were not, to be frank with you,some parents would happily leave their children as 'your responsility' for many hours more each day.
    You've got to give parents the responsibility for collecting their children.