1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The law and Re at KS4

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, May 6, 2012.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

A quick question! I am going for an interview to a school which teaches 'core RE' non-examined at KS4. Am I right in thinking that students are now all required to follow an exam syllabus even when they are not taking the exam? My own LEA does not include plans for KS4 on their agreed syllabus because it just says 'follow an exam syllabus' -but my interview is in a diferent authority so I just wanted to check. Hope this makes sense!

2. san38

san38 New commenter

A quick question! I am going for an interview to a school which teaches 'core RE' non-examined at KS4. Am I right in thinking that students are now all required to follow an exam syllabus even when they are not taking the exam? My own LEA does not include plans for KS4 on their agreed syllabus because it just says 'follow an exam syllabus' -but my interview is in a diferent authority so I just wanted to check. Hope this makes sense!

3. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

You would need to look up their Agreed Syllabus

4. fm1981

fm1981 New commenter

Any school that has RE as a non examined subject puts me off personally. It seems that some schools do not value RE by having it as a non examined subject. If the school has no value towards it then how in the world will the students ever be motivated enough to actually want to study an already stigmatised subject?
    Sorry, i haven't answered your question but i thought i'd still comment.

5. My school has core RE as a non-examined subject at KS4 and it works really well - it means that those pupils who take GCSE have chosen the subject and so do actually want to study it. It also means that our GCSE course has equal time and status to all other option subjects in school. There is no sense of the subject being stigmatised and it is one of the most popular options. Whilst numbers appear to be dropping elsewhere, we will go from 2 to 3 GCSE classes next year.
    In the core RE time we do follow a GCSE short course syllabus, but there is no exam pressure and so we have the time to also look at aspects which interest the pupils. We also use this time to teach the Religion and the Media unit of our GCSE course, which all the pupils love.
    It can work, and it certainly does not mean the subject isn't valued by the school (although it depends if the school you're looking at also runs a GCSE course)

6. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks for those responses, encouraged by yours ruthcatz. The school I am going for interview does offer re gcse & others do 'core'. I am considering leaving a school where everyone has to do full course&we only get an hour a week to get them all through. I am worried about motivation with no exam, but I am becoming so stressed at having to constantly focus on the exam & having no time to do 'fun'.things&really explore topics using things like drama, art, film... Maybe I'm kidding myself? Grateful for all responses, interview Thursday & v.confused!

7. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Good luck san38!! [​IMG]

8. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you Poppy! As I say in two minds....probably won't get it anyway ... at the expensive end of the scale but all my recent battles with exam boards make the idea of core RE sound quite appealing! Will see what I think when I get there but thanks so much for kind wishes. x

9. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it goes as you want it to go.

I would say though - go with your gut feeling at the end of the day. It is such an uncertain time in RE/RS at the moment... Its so difficult!
    xx