1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Laundromat: Netflix

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Oct 19, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I would like to recommend the excellent film The Laundromat on Netflix. It's a biographical drama-comedy in the style of The Big Short. It deals with the revelations of the Panama Papers and the actions/dealings of the law firm Mossack Fonseca.

Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas and Meryl Streep are all excellent. And it'll leave you feeling... rather angry... just saying...

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

How fortuitous. I have just acquired Netflix this very night.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On a related note I found out about El Camino on Netflix the other night.

It's a one-off Breaking Bad sequel that takes up the story of Jesse after the final episode of season 5. Worth a look - not earth-shattering but some of the old magic is still there.

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Thanks for the recommendation - I wish I'd watched that instead of Fractured.

The Dinner is worth a watch too.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Only ever saw one episode of Breaking Bad. Or maybe two... meant to watch it but never got the time.

6. magic surf bus

It's slow burn - you need to stick with it. Absolutely gripping once it gets going.

George_Randle likes this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Is it similar to the 1985 release? I recall that one being rather interesting when I watched it at the Cambridge arts cinema.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Did you think it felt like another episode rather than a film? I did and am expecting another, it lacked the focus of a film as it simply followed on from Jessie's release/escape. I expect another will be along soon.

9. needabreak

The big short was an excellent watch, will give this a go, thanks for the recommendation.

minnie me likes this.
  10. magic surf bus

Yes - very much an extended episode rather than a self-contained film, which would have required way too much exposition for the uninitiated. Difficult to see how much more they could add to the canon once Better Call Saul has completed its final season.

11. needabreak

Didn't realise there was more Better Call Saul, might have to revisit and wait patiently.

12. magic surf bus

Season 5 is out next year some time.

13. needabreak

Ooh interesting! Thanks.

14. needabreak

Just finished watching and am very glad I did thank you Ian. Loved the bit where they said the people making the film owned 5 such companies! I felt it was slower and clearer than the big short but both interesting watches... Wonder if such popular film media will make a difference...

lanokia likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I laughed out loud at that moment especially.

needabreak likes this.