1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The latest flyer I've had poked through my letterbox

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jun 1, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

This comes from Italiano Pizza, a company based in our main town, some 15 minutes drive on a good night away. Apparently their special offer is that I can buy "3 x 10" Pizzas and a Bottle of Soft Drink" for a mere £15,99.
    Looking inside the flyer, They offer a choice of medium (10"), large (14") or Super (16") pizzas ranging from £6.99 for a medium Margherita to £12.99 for something more interesting such as the American Hot which includes onions peperoni, green chillis and green peppers.
    For a cost of an aditional £1.00 - £1.80 I could have a "Stuffed Edge Pizza for that Little bit extra" or add toppings of my choice for another £0.90 - £1.20 depending on the size.
    But if I want a 3 course meal, I can also have a starter which might range from chips @ £1.00 to curly fries @ £2.99 and BBQ ribs @ £3.99 and a dessert of cake or pie for just £2.20.
    Aside from the fact it would be stone cold by the time it's delivered, I couldn't afford to eat this **** yet I must imagine some people do or it wouldn't be worth their while trying to temp us who are so far from the shop.
    I'm at a loss who it is that buys this junk. Maybe it's some of you? It would surely need a reasonable amount of disposable income to afford it.
    I'm going to post the above on Opinion as well as it gets a wider audience, possibly more people who aren't any good in the kitchen and will add an insight into the world of the home pizza delivery.

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Yes, I occasionally order a takeaway pizza.
    This doesn't mean that I don't care about the food I put in my body but I'm human - I sometimes have can't be bothered moments.
    I love making pizzas at home but it does take more than 15 minutes!
    Like Nick says, if it is a treat then I see no problems with enjoying it once in a while. If it became a regular occurence then it would become a problem.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't order Pizza takeaways...
    But that is mainly because of the fact that they tend to come covered in cheese which I can't eat....well not with suffering the consequences!
    I do cook a Pizza at home - cheeseless [​IMG] - and either make a quick thin scone base which works well, or I 'cheat' and use a bought base!...favourite topping has to be prawns, pineapple and garlic!
    I see nothing wrong with the occassional pizza take-away. ....any more than I object to a tasty fish supper from my local chippy.
    I suppose one issue is the meat - most take-away pizzas with a meaty topping use highly processed little meat 'pellets' or slices of salami that look and taste nothing like the salami I buy! But then even when I did buy pizza I never has meaty toppings.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have takeaway pizza about once a month.
    We don't like them from any of the big chains but there is a local chain who do really good pizzas. They aren't greasy and even taste great for breakfast the next day.
    I guess with 2 of us working and no kids we have a decent disposable income. Some nights I want a night off cooking and OH wants a night off the washing up.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The one thing I do want near is a Lebanese pizza takeaway. I had them a couple of times in Jordan and they are fantastic, much thinner base than the Italian ones, but so scrummy.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think most people I know view them as a Friday night treat. I have to say that the take away pizzas from round here are less than somewhat unexciting.
    I have one friend who has a bit of a reputation as a takeaway king. He grumbles that his wife won''t cook, I suspect that he has never acquired the skills. The family dynamics are strange and I suspect involve depression on the part of at least one family member.
    For myself, I prefer Chinese or Indian for the Friday night collapse.
    Best wishes,
    P

7. modelmaker

I feel it's only fair to reply to you, nick as you've taken the trouble to reply on several occasions. I love a good pizza. It features on our diet quite frequently, in restaurants, when we holiday in the south of France. Cooked in a wood oven and accompanied with a picher of local red wine who needs anything more?
    But these are simple peasant meals. They aren't the over-hyped concept of making it into something it isn't by adding extra toppings of your choice and stuffing the crusts to give added value. Sure you can order a pizza without all the extra **** but the fact it's always there indicates it's a moneyspinner the pizza companies do well out of.
    Yes we very occasionaly have a takeaway. It's a toss up between the Chinese or the fish and chip shop as that's all that exists in our village for takeaways. From what I've gathered over the years, virtually everything we are sold in a Chinese restaurant isn't representative of a typical Chinese diet. It's product that has been manufactured to entice the more affluent Westen to buy.
    And whilst on the Chinese, we discussed a month or so ago on the obesity thread how there has been an exposion in obesity in Chinese cities. The Chinese were once regarded as the most slender but since their economy has grown, more people live in the cities and these in turn have been exploited by the fast food giants.
    My references to servings in inches suggests a Yankee influence in these days of our European community.
    I don't know... I know I'm rambling. All I can say is I've rarely eaten a takeaway and felt it was money well spent. If the chips were really down and I couldn't be ***** to cook, we'd probably eat in the pub. It costs about the same overall.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

You're quite right of course, the average delivery pizza doesn't compare to an authentic pizza, but it's probably best to accept that they're different things and enjoy these ones for what they are.
    I have to say though, that there are a number of pizza outlets near me that do authentic pizzas, in a wood-fired oven, with a decent base (it's all about the base, for me) and sensible toppings (some of these are Italian restaurants that happen to deliver). This is probably due to living on the outskirts of a large city though, as opposed to the semi-rural area you live in, MM. There are also some whose pizzas aren't authentic, but which are tasty enough and certainly decent enough to fill a hole and fulfil a purpose when time is tight or I've had a belly full of beer.
    Of course, there are also a load of dreadful ones with horrendous pizzas too. I'm lucky enough to have the choice to be able to give these a wide berth.

9. modelmaker

I think I'd add I could gather a significant amount of visual information about the likely quality of the product from the garish manner the flyer was printed. Totally in yor face, all about bargains, extras and so on but nothing whatsoever about quality.

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Pizza Express make damn good pizzas - I'd say they're pretty much the best of all of the fast food chains.
    If Nando's used decent chicken, they'd be up there too!

11. modelmaker

In contrast, a flyer from a tandoori restaurant posted through my lettterbox today has no garish piciures of Coke cans and McDonald's style "fries" cardboard containers. Just words.
    Some offers, but these revolve around ordering times rather than what you buy. From the menu descriptions it was pretty clear what to expect, along with an advice to ask if you have special dietry requirements or would preferto order something not on the menu and they'd do their best to see if they can accomodate.
    Price wise, it's similar.
    Presentation wise they are light years apart. The pizza inspires tacky food thrown together, by a spotty oik the tandoori one inspires something cooked by a kid with acne under control, maybe even a proper chef. Who knows?

12. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I have to say that I agree with you here, MM, to an extent.
    A simply flyer, maybe an A5 piece of paper, simply printed with red on white, with just a list of half a dozen or so pizzas, with no extras other than maybe garlic bread or a side salad (although if they'll also deliver decently priced red wine then we'll really be talking!), and no options other than a small or large pizza - I'll be there like a shot and far more likely to take a punt than on a garish monstrosity.
    Although we have to accept that most people like it tacky - look at what's on primetime evening weekend television if you need any convincing!

13. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

I never have a delivery (most places won't do them around here without a high charge), but often have takeaways from local restaurants which can range from fish and chips through Thai and even the occasional pizza. Any place that does pizza with 'something in the crust' always worries me..