1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The last Supply!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by spiderwomen, May 3, 2012.

1. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

I've been applying for jobs and getting zero! It takes me ages to do my applications, I had one checked using the Tes service, and yet nothing! I've been on daily supply since 2009 with a few contracts thrown in! Since 2010, I've only had daily supply and a 8 week sickness cover. I've started applying this year and nothing. Is it because I've been on supply and left my NQT year early. It's so frustrating as supply had actually strengthen my knowledge and skills and yet it's not helping me get a job. if I had known supply would be viewed so negatively, I would have taken some of the opportunities presented in the first year of supply.
    I've reached an epiphany and decided teaching may not be for me: kid are getting harder: no more statements so crazy kids will run amok: do we actually teach nowadays or just shout. Personally people who want an education will get one regardless of teachers. How many other supply teachers are just going to jack it all in?

2. spiderwomen

I've been applying for jobs and getting zero! It takes me ages to do my applications, I had one checked using the Tes service, and yet nothing! I've been on daily supply since 2009 with a few contracts thrown in! Since 2010, I've only had daily supply and a 8 week sickness cover. I've started applying this year and nothing. Is it because I've been on supply and left my NQT year early. It's so frustrating as supply had actually strengthen my knowledge and skills and yet it's not helping me get a job. if I had known supply would be viewed so negatively, I would have taken some of the opportunities presented in the first year of supply.
    I've reached an epiphany and decided teaching may not be for me: kid are getting harder: no more statements so crazy kids will run amok: do we actually teach nowadays or just shout. Personally people who want an education will get one regardless of teachers. How many other supply teachers are just going to jack it all in?

3. In all honesty I am in the same boat and feel like im at a loss as to what to do. I have graduated in 2009 as a History Teacher in the Birmingham area in the hope that it would be a career for life. I am now covering as a supply teacher (covering/teaching science of all subjects). I have applied for a number of different jobs with no success. I do generally feel that as soon as someone sees the word supply on a application it is pretty much binned.
    I also feel trapped that we as teachers may be seen as too qualified or at a disadvantage when applying non teaching jobs.
    I feel like I cant win either way and the idea of teaching supply for another 40 years makes me wanna cry.
    Am I just over reacting ? Or is there light at the end of the tunnel?
    PS sorry if there are any grammatical errors or incoherent sentences spell check not working etc etc etc

4. Yes there is light at the and of the tunnel!
    Just keep at it, something always turns up. Try & get someone with experience to look through what you are putting down on the application form.
    If you are visiting the school prior to an application (and you should be) check out how you come across to the school. Your manner, the clothes you were, the way you speak, everything - is being assessed from the moment you pick up the phone to make contact with the school.
    Choose the jobs you apply for carefully.
    There is a fallacy in teaching that yesteryear there were plenty of jobs. This is not so. There never have been "plenty" of jobs. It has always been hard to land a position and that is why you have to keep plugging away until you get something.

5. spiderwomen

Thanks. It's nice to hear there is some hope. Unfortunately, every time I go on a school visit, it is part of a group so no chance of making a good first impression. I'll keep trying but it might just be fruitless!

6. Yes, It's all depressing and ridiculous and the TA are still advertising for more new recruits for the "profession"? No teaching jobs so why still advertise?????????????????????