1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The last luxury foods you'd give up

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Feb 15, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I began a thread on Personal asking what attitude people would have if they were made redundant with their final salary payment, but for a food take on this scenario, the question is what you will be most reluctant to lose if you find yourself in this situation, what could you easily forfeit and what would you find torture if it came outside your price range?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I began a thread on Personal asking what attitude people would have if they were made redundant with their final salary payment, but for a food take on this scenario, the question is what you will be most reluctant to lose if you find yourself in this situation, what could you easily forfeit and what would you find torture if it came outside your price range?

3. Hubby and I were both made redundant a few years ago. We started eating less meat, gave up on organic milk (heaven knows what it is doing to our children's hormones) but I couldn't give up on shopping at Waitrose. Luckily or distressingly, depending on how you look at it, Waitrose gave up on us and my closest branch closed down . I really miss it (and on-line is just not the same!)

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Unsalted butter and real coffee, we only drink ground coffee, can't stand the taste of instant!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Champagne [​IMG]

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Real butter.
    I could make my own bread as yeast can be obtained for free at Tesco's, so decent bread wouldn't be expensive.
    However, I'd rather go without bread than eat any form of butter substitute, whether the ones that pretend to be butter or the nasty synthetic oil based spreads.
    We don't eat vast quantities of meat so cutting down further wouldn't be difficult but I would still buy the best quality meat we could afford; just even more of the cheap cuts with steaks and posh roasts being even more of a rarity.
    The idea of never eating another oyster again would fill me with horror, though.

7. BelleDuJour

Yes............eaten with my chilled champagne! [​IMG]

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Let's make a pact then, Belle. If we ever both end up totally skint, you provide the Champagne and I'll bring the oysters along. Obviously I'll have to bring loads of oysters to match the cost of the fizz, but that won't be a problem.

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I don't think I could live without flatbread - the backbone of Egyptian food! I don't know if I could live without the olive oil from my family's olive trees either. And potatoes, too because my Grandmother instilled into me how important potatoes are!
    I think I could easily go without meat - I've lived on a virtually vegan diet in the past and I think I could again. I think Mr EG would seriously, seriously struggle though.
    Torture...the only thing that springs to mind is asparagus because we literally eat it every day when it is in season and I love it.

10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

coke. i can live without most other things, except nice bread.
    easy to please, aren't i?

11. Emily!!!!!?????

For me it would be real coffee and butter, I can make the bread and can get cheap enough organic meat. But I couldn't do without a good cup of coffee and I hate spreads of any sort!

12. BelleDuJour

It's a deal nick!

13. Unsalted butter and olive oil - but I regard those as essentials not luxuries! I suppose wine would be the most difficult to give up permanently, oh, and aubergines and Parmesan.

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I know it is possible to <strike>live</strike> survive without just about any particular food - been there, done that and never want to go there again!
    I love really good coffee. I'd go without rather than drink an inferior blend.
    I'd hate to be completely wothout salt...I don't use a lot, but a little makes a difference sometimes,
    I was veggie for a while, so know I can live meat free...but wouldn't like to....although I think I'd give up meat if I'm allowed to keep seafood! I do love to treat myself to a locally caught crab....and I'd hate to think I would never again eat lobster!

I've made my decision....I'm giving up olives....they're a luxury food, yes?....I am quite happy to never eat another of these disgusting things again....I loathe them...food of Satan himself!

15. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Avocados, blueberries, ground almonds...

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm joining the good coffee group. I only have one cup a day but it has to be filter or the new microground stuff. It's expensive but goes a long way and is easy.

17. BelleDuJour

That is pretty unusual Cosmos. I'd never had put down aubergines as a 'must have'. Do you have any particular recipes you like?

18. BelleDuJour

This thread has got me gasping for a glass of champagne tonight! I shall try my luck with Mr Belle.

19. Aldi value chocolate,spam,30p cider.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

Good Ceylon tea and the Vietnamese coffee we get by mail order. Mind you, we only drink the coffee at weekends, so it's not really that expensive.
    Butter, lemons, olive oil, good potatoes, good tomatoes...