1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kitchin

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bombaysapphire, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Was fabulous! You could see Tom bustling about in the kitchen. Seeing him through the hatch made me feel as if I was watching Great British Menu on the box!
    I don't have a full copy of the menu but from memory it was:
    Starters:
    • Chicken ceasar salad
    • Shellfish ravioli in lobster bisque
    • Pea veloute with ham hock
    Mains:
    • Hake served with fennel and spinach
    • Piggie cheeks!
    • Lamb from nose to tail with wild garlic
    Desserts:
    • Rum baba with rhubarb
    • Pistachio souffle with pistachio ice cream
    The amuse bouche was a beautiful creamy cold beetroot soup with horse radish creme-fraiche. I had the ravioli, the hake and the souffle. All lovely but stand out dish of the day was the hake - the fennel was cooked with lemon and was delicious and the texture of the fish out of this world. The souffle was absolutely huge and very light. Fabulous value all for £25 a head.
    We had the wine package and coffee too. I was very impressed with the rhubarb macaroon - I am going to have to try making more macaroons. They are so light and pretty as well as tasting great.
    If you are ever near Edinburgh then I recommend it.

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

£25 for a three course meal plus canapes etc is exceptional value in a restaurant of that stature!
    Was that for a prix fixe lunch menu, BS, or is that ther main menu price?
    (I invariably always go for a prix fixe menu if available - normally a great bargain!)

3. I could be tempted to move!
    I have little real choice here, no nice posh restaurants. We have a Champignon Suavage and a Brasserie Blanc but I have not been tempted by the menus!
    The mushroom is very expensive, Blanc is much more affordable!
    I think I need to look more!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I would love to go to a really good restaurant....if I could manage the rather public setting...it's either that or book out the whole restaurant just for me and whoever comes with me!

I'd love to eat at The Kitchin...or Rick Stein's....or just to say I'd been there, The Fat Duck....the thing is I live on the East Coast...Where is there to dream of going? Delia has a place in Norwich (So...book out the whole restaurant and a whole railway carriage to get me there!) ...but is there anywhere else?

5. You can borrow my Rick Stein story if you want, Bethannie!

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

do I know this?

7. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/427947/5797713.aspx#5797713
    It was short on posts but long on enjoyment.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It was the prix fixe. The al a carte was shockingly expensive! There was limited choice, I wanted to try the lamb with wild garlic but it was just offal so I wimped out. It didn't matter though because the hake was beautiful.
    Manashee - it's in Commerical Quay in Edinburgh, right near Ocean Terminal. If you're that close it would be very rude not to go!