1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kinks are recording a new album and may be touring!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jul 18, 2019.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I love the Kinks music.

TCSC47 and FrankWolley like this.
  4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Sorry about the bit at the end of this utube.

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I dunno. I love The Kinks from the 60s and 70s, but I don't like it when rock stars go past their sell by date. Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart and Elton John being a prime example. Something's lost.
    With that said... David Bowie kept it together all through his long career, so...

colpee likes this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I watched a really good documentary about The Kinks. I wish I could remember what it was called.
    Anyway - I found this on Youtube and it looks promising.

TCSC47 likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Exactly. Wasn’t Ray Davies warbling at the London Olympics closing ceremony?

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

No, that was Paul McCartney. I'll never forget it. Not in a good way.

10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I loved the Kinks musical. Wonderful songs - Waterloo sunset is a big favourite that I’d like played at my funeral.

smoothnewt and TCSC47 like this.
  11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'The Kinks were more influential in the development of English popular music than any other band, even the Beatles.' Discuss.

The General Paper question I always wanted to see on the exam paper! - but never did!:D

12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My husband loved the Kinks and had 'Days' played at his funeral. I still struggle to listen to it now, nine years later.
    My daughter (27) and her friend went to see Sunny Afternoon (at the theatre) and they were probably the youngest in the audience. At the interval, a middle aged lady asked them what they were doing there, saying something like 'This isn't your era of music!' My daughter put forward the argument that good music transcends all generations. That shut her up!

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Not my era of music either, but you'd be surprised. My twenties (early noughties) were spent at clubs that played 60s and 70s msic.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I recall going to ‘ an audience with ‘ type of evening with Ray Davies a very very long time ago . I am not a Kinks fan so unsure as to why I went .He / it was sooooooo boring. I was tempted to tunnel my way out of the auditorium.,Likewise Mike Scott of the Waterboys - love his music though

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

God yes, spare me from the past-it pop-stars, swaying on their octogenarian hips and croaking the songs they once charmed with - sit down folks, it’s long over!

coffeekid likes this.
  16. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Ah - tell that to Mick and the Stones! There's a reason their concerts still sell out....

smoothnewt and les25paul like this.
  17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Baby boomers wanting to re-live their youth..?

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Anyway though - whatever makes people happy. Don't want to wee on anyone's bonfire!

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

In the early 60's there were three bands who brought genuine innovation, newness and influence to the UK pop and rock scene. Prior to that so much of our popular music influences were American soft popular music. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Kinks. All three bands brought something different to the art but for what ever reasons the Kinks do not seem to have been given as much credit in the history of pop as the other two. However, if you delve into the history of pop and rock it is all there to see. As someone who was around at the time I can confirm that all three bands were all something genuinely new. The quantum step forward all three bands made is not so obvious nowadays because they set the rules and standards for what followed, hiding the fact that so much of what we have heard since was first played by them.

Ok, the Stones and the Beatles were strongly influenced by American pop, rock, country and rhythm and blues, but with a considerably fresh approach. The Kinks on the other hand combined the London pub scene sing along around the piano with the raw power and noise of electric guitars and drums, something much more innovative than what so many other pop and rock bands were doing at the time, including the Beatles and Stones. And of course the debt that Punk owes to the Kinks is obvious.

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Bullocks!

Its not over until they nail down the lid. :p:p:p:p

BertieBassett2, smoothnewt and TCSC47 like this.