1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The King's Speech - best film I've seen in ages.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, Jan 12, 2011.

1. I have just come back from seeing The King's Speech. I thought how well it was acted and how entertaining it was. I must get to the cinema more often. There just never seems to be much that appeals.

2. I have just come back from seeing The King's Speech. I thought how well it was acted and how entertaining it was. I must get to the cinema more often. There just never seems to be much that appeals.

3. Totally agree, it was brilliant- touching, funny and dramatic all at the same time. I cam out proud to be British and humming Land of Hope and Glory.
    I went to see Black Swan and it just didn't compare (although Natalie Portman was very good).

4. Yeah I liked it too. I wish CF had looked a bit more like G6 though.

5. A bravura performance too from Derek Jacobi as a stuffy yet sulphurous Cosmo Lang.

6. Well, excellent indeed

But none of you warned me that I would cry buckets

7. The best film I have seen in years - so well acted and I cried too!

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yes, loved it all, especially all the interiors and the lighting was great. I thought Geoffrey Rush was outstanding. Didn't recognise Guy Pearce doing his Edward VIII or Anthony Andrews as Stanley Baldwin!

9. I'm another one who cried!
    I really enjoyed the film too. Thought it was well-acted, on the whole, although I wasn't convinced by the David character (was that actor in Neighbours or something like that? Aussie actor?) very much.
    I had speech therapy as a child because of a stammer so it was interesting to see how G6 (albeit through the film) was treated.

10. I liked HBCs portrayal but agree that it was probably pallyer than the reality

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I thought she was supposed to have a good "common touch".
    I loved the film - what a story. So many films don't really have a strong story This was primarily the story of a good man in an impossible situation doing the best he could, with the help of people who loved him. The fact that these people played a huge part in a very insecure part of the country's history then added a huge frisson. Colin Firth does the suppressed emotion bit so well and I loved the sweary singing bits too - such a lovely balance of deep seriousness and humour.
    Loved CF in A single man too.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Saw it tonight.................awesome. Just loved it! BAFTAs were well deserved, and not just Colin Firth.

13. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I loved it too. Was very sceptical at first and only went to see it as I have a monthly card. I thought it was fantastic, very well acted by all and extremly touching and hilariously funny in parts.

14. Oh I am glad you all enjoyed it. Family are up here this weekend and we wanted to go to the theatre, but there is nothing on locally that we fancy, so we are going to see The King instead tomorrow night.
    Given the story, I thought it might be good, but not THAT good...maybe a bit iffy...so your enthusiastic 'non-luvvie' reviews are welcome.. [​IMG]
    (I also think Colin Firth is gorgeous - BUT - cannot imagine I'll fancy him as a stammering royal. I have concluded that I only REALLY fancied him as Mr Darcy, and that realisation means I no longer have a crush on any actor. Well, I still quite fancy Ewan McGregor.)

15. BelleDuJour

Oh...and I cried too!

16. I saw it three weeks ago and would never have selected this as a film to see but was going with friends so fell in with their choice. Loved it. I cried. Wonderful

17. BelleDuJour

Indeed! Phoar!!

18. All told, the King did a helluva lot better than the newsreel commentator who referred to 'Eebrox' Stadium!
    You do feel for George. That simple words like 'palaces' and 'pavilions' could present such looming agony ...