1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kindle Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I have tried that but when I click test email it says:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 111, in test_email_settings
    File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
    File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
    IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Log:
    Find mail exchanger for free.kindle.com
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 77, in sendmail_direct
    File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 704, in sendmail
    File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 528, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
    File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 401, in ehlo
    File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 358, in getreply
    SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yokel - Yep, I get something like that too. So then you do what I do.
    Download it by USB every morning while the kettle is boiling!
    This is obviously something computerwise-technical and I have no more idea than you do.
    Sorry!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Never mind!
    Thank you anyway though!

4. san38

san38 New commenter

Help -the other day my kindle froze althogether - followed instructions and did a restart. Now it had 'lost' my wireless connection. Although it is seeing my homehub when it scans it is saying 'unable to connect' -even though it was connected for the last 4 weeks until it turned itself off!
    Any one any idea why it won't connect or how I can find out why and sort it out? Really irritated with it - bought the 3g version but it can't seem to pick up a strong enough signal anywhere of the 3g to download anything and now I can't even get my home wireless. Arg...

5. Just out of interest do have an amazon 'cover'- one of the book type ones- £29.99? I had similar and other problems with my kindle- got rid of the cover and it's fine now. Have done an internet search and found others having similar problems.

6. Bit Literacy has changed my approach to email. I am half way through the book and now have no emails in my inbox... I do have two new folders for, 'old emails' & 'todo' and have deleted the rest. It's quite amazing really. I am not being 'bogged down by bits'. I thought the first few chapters were very alike and at the end of the book I think that I'd be able to write the essential information on a post-it note (the author doesn't seem to like post-it notes which I do, especially in various unusual shapes, colours and sizes - it's the primary teacher in me, I guess). Thanks for the link Theo and keep posting 'em! The Dorothy Parker one looks good too and Calibre's daily newspapers rocks! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Stay warm and safe, BJMcA

7. Thanks for the advice about the cover Olivia_B, my kindle hadn't been connecting for over a week but after I removed the cover it was back to normal.

8. Oh I am SO frustrated! My kindle arrived today and I cannot get the wireless network to work! I always have this trouble with new laptops, they don't seem to want to accept the WEP security key. For my Toshiba I had to download something from the support forums before it would accept the code (hard wired connection obviously). I'n not savvy enough to set up the connection manually, please can anyone help!!

9. I'm going to get one after Christmas, but I still am not sure what I get extra if I pay £149 instead of £109 pounds. I don't understand the terminology on Amazon. I need something straightforward.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

mammal: As I understand it, if you buy the standard version you need to use your computer to order books. The £149 version lets you go online via the Kindle and get your books direct.
    So, foe example, if I am visiting Mum at Christmas, and want to have a new book to read I can use my Kindle to connect to Amazon, search and buy....all without needing my laptop. I have the £149 version and love, love, LOVE it!
    Honestly, you'll find either version easy to use.....believe me, I <u>need</u> it to be easy!

11. Thanks Bethanie - very helpful. So can you do anything else as well as order books with the online version?

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

You can do some other on-line stuff....I have used Google on the Kindle. But haven't been able to access my Hotmail account on it (Kindle seems to only allow one window open at a time, and when I sign in, Hotmail wants to open a second window).
    When Theo next pops by, he'll probably be able to tell you (and me!) what other things can be done! He is our resident expert - and makes it all so easy too!
    Personally, I only have a Laptop with a dongle connection, the 'independent' Kindle is ideal for me.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not techie myself . . . All I did for mine was go to settings, let it find the wireless and then put in the code.
    I only recently got wifi at home, so when I got my Kindle I took it to a free local wifi (a pub actually) and let it log on there, because I had been told that you needed to log on to wifi at least once to get all the features up and running.
    You could try seeing if you can log on at McD or the pub first.
    Best of luck!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not quite quite right here, Bethanie. Almost but not quite.
    To access the Kindle store and buy books, or access the internet, Wikipedia, etc., you need to be connected to the internet. The connection can be either by wifi or by 3G. Now read on . . .
    With the standard (wifi only) one, you need to be in a wifi zone that your Kindle can log on to. So you could use it at home if you have wifi there, or out and about wherever there's an available wifi that you can log on to. This could include at work.
    With the more expensive 3G version, you are connected to the internet via 3G, without logging on or doing anything at all, wherever there's a good mobile phone signal.
    That could be at home, if you don't have wifi, or at your Granny's, or on the train/bus, or queuing for 6 hours at Heathrow or stuck in a snowdrift on the M50.
    Anywhere you can use a phone you can use your 3G Kindle. Including very many places abroad - I have bought books at an airport in Spain, for example, and downloaded a newspaper in a forest in France. And no fuss about having to find the wifi zone and log on to it.
    My feeling is that if you are sure that you will never never never want to download a book or a newspaper when away from your home wifi, then go for the wifi only one, as long as you feel happy with setting it up to log on to your wifi. Mine was dead easy, some people have problems.
    If, however, you are an impulse purchaser . . . then get 3G so you can buy on the spur of the moment wherever you are.
    Once you are connected to the internet, via wifi or via 3G, you can do exactly the same things, whichever version you have.
    But to be honest, any internet access involving any text entry is a right pain. Even putting in the search for Wiki. Your e-mail is very very hard. It's slow and clunky doing internet. But it's not meant for internet, it's a book reader, and for buying/downloading/reading books it is superb.
    If you want internet, get an iPad. Great!
    If you want a reader, get the Kindle. Greater!
    Best of luck!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    FREE
    [​IMG]
    Freebie again. Not sure Mrs TG will approve if I buy this one . . .
    [​IMG]
    Free
    [​IMG]
    Another for free
    [​IMG]
    Looks a bit too scary for Christmas .
    I tend to "buy" all the freebies, and then delete them later. They stay in the Amazon archive so if I lend one of my Kindles to someone who wants to read them, they can.

16. Cheers Theo! I tend to mess around with technology, causes me some grief at times but I think I am an active learner (correct terminology, kineasthetic these days?) and the way I learn to do things is to have a go, make mistakes and then try again. Hubby does things by the book and he would never have been able to set up the last laptop nor the kindle. Boy do I feel superior at times! Sprouts! I would much rather kindle (new verb?)

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The 12 Days of Kindle

Amazon has just announced 50 books reduced to &pound;1 only between now and january 6th.

18. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Thankyou, Theo. I have just downloaded calibre and got my morning papers (English, French and Italian) for free. So that is another very happy kindler :)

And thankyou to that nice man who left me a kindle in my stocking ;)

19. I downloaded a book and despite following instructions I can't delete it. It says 'remove from device' instead of delete and simply moves it to archived items. How do I get rid of it?

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hang on while I look for it!