1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kindle Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, Oct 4, 2010.

1. We have 4 kindles registered to one account. Amazon purchases transferred to one kindle can be picked up by another through 'Archived Items' and you can download collections from another kindle this way.
    Only problem with having them registered to 1 account is the Amazon '1 click buy' because the payment automatically goes to the default card- it is possible to change the credit card before buying but not easy.
    Can also recommend 'Instapaper' (if anyone hasn't already) to save online articles to kindle to read later.

2. Thanks you! I printed off post 33, sat at the mac last night with a glass of wine and now have calibre installed, the china daily, the guardian/observer & the economist (free) sent daily to the computer. For no other reason than I was following your instruction but they'll get delivered at the same time as yours (not allowing for time differences). I have a 3G Kindle so the newspapers go to Calibre and then I transfer them across when the Kindle's plugged in via the usb hub, is that right? Thanks again! Do you know how to convert pdfs to Kindle format?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Yes - just leave the USB lead permanently plugged in to your computer (I've coiled mine up so it doesn't dangle)
    Q2 Yes - use Calibre!
    1 Set up your preferences to MOBI output,
    2 Add book
    3 Edit metadata. Change the title and author to what you want - some files when they are added are a bit weird here. Then at bottom LH of this window click fetch metadata - you can then get an intro to the book quite often. Finally in this window bottom RH, Download Cover. There might already be a cover on your PDF. If not, Calibre might be able to find you one. (These last 2 points assume that it's a book - if it's an ordinary PDF document, don't bother). then OK
    4 Convert. Check it says MOBI in top RH of the convert window. then OK Then the little circle whirls round and round bottom RH of screen until it's done.
    5 Plug in your Kindle. You now have a couple of new items on the menu bar. Select Send to Device, then Send to main memory.
    Et voila! Done.
    However be warned - PDFs are the hardest to convert, with 3 common faults in the output file.
    a) if PDF has columns, you get garbage as it reads across the columns instead of down them. So don't bother. Ditto something with masses of diagrams or pictures.
    b) if PDF has something in the header/footer, you get that in the MOBI text. Just about bearable if it's only the page numbers (which will not, of course, correspond with your kindle pages so you'll find eg 56 in the middle of a paragraph), but horrid if it's a whole swathe of text appearing regularly in the middle of what you're reading. Strategic developments 1898-2003 in our sector, author James Lewis MPhil
    c) nearly always, it puts in line returns at a point that is not the end of a line (unless you read landscape with small small font). So you get a normal line, a half line, and a blank line.
    I don't find that too hard, I get used to it pretty fast, but Mrs TG just cannot read from that.
    Good luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

<u>H O M E W O R K F O R N E W K I N D L E R S</u>
    Three thrillers by Stephen Leather <u>for free</u>. You can download them in PDF format for free (the Kindle option charges you), then use the calibre software I explain above to convert to MOBI. They are nice "clean" PDFs that convert well.
    So this is your homework: download these 3 in PDF format, import them into Calibre, Edit the metadata, convert them to mobi, send them to your Kindle . . .
    http://www.stephenleather.com/unpub.html
    • "The Basement" <u>Synopsis</u>: "A serial killer is torturing and killing women in New York. And two detectives are sure that a writer is behind the murders. But as they close in on their suspect, a woman is being held captive in a basement somewhere in the city. Can they find the killer before the latest victim is killed?"
    • "Dreamer's Cat" <u>Synopsis</u>: "The hero is a Dreamer, a one-in-a-million talent who lays down psi-discs for the Cerebral Broadcasting Corporation. Dreamers are employed on billion-dollar contracts to produce psi-discs, the entertainment of the future. But when Dreamers start to die, our hero has to go into their alternative realities on the track of the killer."
    • "Once Bitten" <u>Synopsis</u>: "Jamie Beaverbrook is an English psychologist working for the Los Angeles Police Department. His job - to sort out the insane from the sane, the crazies from the ones who are pretending to be crazy. But Beaverbrook's life is turned upside down one night when the police find a girl crouched over a man with his throat torn out. The girl has blood on her lips but claims she only found the body. Beaverbrook doesn't take long to establish that she's totally sane - but he is forced to face a bigger question. Is she a vampire? And what does she want from him?"

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

None of those titles really does it for me I'm afraid....however I am getting proficient at using Calibre to download books from authors-own sites. So maybe I could be excused homework?
    A little question about copyright. I know I have to be careful on sites such as Gutenburg, as the books may be copyright exempt in the US or elsewhere but not UK. ...But how do I stand if I actually travel abroad, say to Germany, and take my Kindle with me. I then download some German books for free - copyright exempt in Germany....and then travel back home with my Kindle...am I allowed to keep these books on my Kindle? Or do I have to remove them to comply with British copyright?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am not a lawyer.
    I very much doubt if there is anyone at Customs who (a) is a copyright expert (b) will turn on your Kindle and look.
    I think my answer here is: Be real!

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think my Aspergers is the issue here...I am really obsessive about not breaking the law.
    (And there is also the memory of the time I was stopped and questioned by customs officers because of the sachets of white powder they discovered in my hand-luggage!......I eventually convinced them of the truth - they were sachets of prescribed migraine medication....and I decided to carry them without their labelled box to save on packaging....I combine Aspergers with a naive stupidity!)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I understand your point, and have sympathy with it. But . . . . you will need to become a copyright expert yourself!
    I really cannot tell you what the legal situation is about books that are legal (out of copyright) in one country but not in another. This is probably one of those points that expensive lawyers could argue about for days on end.
    Sorry not to be able to give you an answer here.

9. 576

576 Established commenter

I live overseas but bought a Bible for my Sony Reader. According to WHSmiths or Waterstones (I forget which) where I bought it from I couldn't get it in my country. So I used my parent's UK address.
    My view is this - were it a paper book there would be no issue with me buying something in one country and physically transporting it to another.
    Maybe what I did is illegal but I certainly don't see it as immoral.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For the benefit of other e-book readers - any make - I would say that buying a Bible isn't necessary if you are happy with the King James Version.
    As with very many other (33,000 of them!) out-of-copyright works, is available free on Gutenberg, in a variety of electronic formats, including Kindle, EPUB (for Sony and iPad), HTML, Plucker etc.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

11. It worked!!! I converted a pdf tp kindle (mobi), it's as clear and there's no jibberish on the pages, thank you v.much! I found the time 'cause my baby, Olly, decided to happily wake at 4:30 this morning! I appreciate your help Theo, do you mind if I don't read those books though? motherhood has turned me into a wimpy-reader and I don't do scary stories, scary film or much of anything else in excess...

12. sorry (too early in the morning) pdf to kindle (mobi), it's clear, scary ... note to self, read before posting, Bobby

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's Ok, you don't have to read them, it was just an exercise to get you to see how easy it is!
    You and the baby have a nice day, now.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

15. ljr

ljr New commenter

Theo, thank you so much, I have recently had my Christmas present in advance - my Kindle - and have already managed to get the morning paper every day, and have just downloaded the Stephen Leather books, all thanks to you. Isn't the Kindle just wonderful? I love it!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Me too, me too!

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

My Kindle was an early Christmas present too! And I love it!
    An extra bonus has been these last couple of mornings....my two newspapers (One German, one English) have been safely delivered to my Kindle at their usual time despite the snowy weather! ....Mum's newspaper boy delivered her paper at 9:30am yesterday!...delayed by the snow! Far too late to enjoy with your breakfast cuppa!

18. Another with an early Christmas present - have not had time to work out newspapers and pdf etc but have downloaded books onto my Kindle. I love it, really thought I would find it strange not holding a book, but if I get withdrawal symptons I have books to hold. One problem - fell asleep with thumb/finger on the page turner and when I turned it back on was on the acknowledgements page[​IMG]

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Nels - go back to post 33 on this thread...Theo gives a really simple explanation on how to download Calibre and get newspapers.
    Honestly, it's so simple even I managed it!
    It's the best thing that happened to my Kindle...not only do I get free newspapers (OK, minus a few things like the TV guide and the crossword!)...but Calibre opens a whole host of new sites for downloading!

20. My kindle was a Christmas present for my husband. It's worked out to be mine though 'cause he registered his ipod on my amazon kindle account and now read books via his ipod touch. You can register 3 devices one one kindle account.
    Can you give a novice some clues please? Thanks, Bobby x