1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kindle Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm still very much a Kindle Newbie....but I'm really keen!
    My main source is Amazon - thousands of books for free! So far, the most I've paid is £4.10 for one book (and worth every penny - it's out of print, I can't even find a copy in 2nd hand book stores and e-bay sell 'real' copies for £100+!)
    Gutenberg is a terrific site - but the copyright issue is a bit tricky. I can't always tell if a book is copyright exmpt in the UK - and Gutenberg only tell you the books ar USA exempt.
    The German Gutenberg link is good too (thanks Theo!)
    Downloading Calibre is, I think, essential! Not only for the newspapers but I can now use calibre to access books from other sites too.
    The freebie thread on MoneySavingExpert often gives you sites for free e-books - usually time-limited, the books are only available free that day/week.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I took my Kindle on holiday at half-term and it was brilliant. I played around with it when I first got it, but as I love my "real" books I hadn't really tried reading a book on it.
    But it's fantastic to go away. My handluggage was so much lighter than normal, I had hundreds of books to choose from, and the screen was so comfortable to read from that I got involved in my novels and didn't think about the medium through which I was reading them.
    There was none of the glare that you get with computer screens so I didn't get tired eyes even after reading for hours, and I could see the screen perfectly in bright sunlight. I loved lying by the pool with my Kindle.
    I'd switched the internet off, and couldn't believe how long the power lasted for. I charged it up twice as a precaution, but it was fully charged so quickly that there must have been loads of power left.
    We were supposed to have gone for away for a few days, but - thanks to the French air-traffic controllers going on strike - we ended up staying for a week. If I'd just taken a few paperbacks like I normally do, then I'd have run out of books and got stressed out. But there's no way that you can ever run out of books with a Kindle. I even had a few downloaded for Cariadlet when she finished her book.
    I'm back to the "real" books now that I'm home. But the Kindle's definitely coming on my next holiday with me. I love it.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two books currently free from Amazon

[​IMG]1. The Demon Girl
    Rated: 3.5/5 stars average from 3 reviews
    Synopsis: "Rae Wilder has problems. Plunged into a world of dark magic, fierce creatures and ritual sacrifice, she is charged with a guarding a magical amulet. Rae finds herself beaten up, repeatedly, and forced to make a choice: to live and die human, or embrace her birth-right and wield magics that could turn her into something wicked, a force of nature nothing can control."

[​IMG]2. Shatter (The Children of Man)
    Not rated.
    Description: "Growing up during the chaos of the Nabosian War, Faela Durante and her entire generation never knew what it meant to live in a time of peace. Though the war ended years ago, the devastation has not. Every decision, no matter how seemingly insignificant, has a consequence and some consequences can never be predicted. But some are foretold."
    [​IMG]

4. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Jeeze, no wonder they're free. Who would buy them let alone read them? I see one is written by someone called 'Mock'.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lots of people enjoy that type of literature, Nutella. In fact I understand that you can make a pretty penny writing that type of literature.
    Perhaps you could take it up to fund those Quantas trips?
    For other lovers of trashy reading, I can give you the good news that the Calibre software used to download automatically newspapers that can be sent to your Kindle, has now an option to download Hello magazine.
    But only in Spanish, I'm afraid!
    The number of Spanish publications has increased enormously, including the popular "science" magazine Muy Interesante.
    In English they now have 18 UK publications, including Mac World and the London Review of Books. The US ones are very varied, and include the Christian Science Monitor, Esquire, Dilbert, Journal of Nephrology (is that what I think? Probably not), Reader's Digest, PC World and 280 more.
    Worth taking a look to see what you fancy.
    Nutella - there are 5 Ozzie newspapers too.

6. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

I've officially joined the club. My Christmas present Kindle has arrived and hubby has let me play with it to make sure it is what I wanted. After much faffing with the WiFi settings (chose not to go for the 3g as £109 was dear enough for a gift for me, and I can cope well enough by uploading books from home) it is up and running and I've downoaded some ebooks, inc the Demon Girl (am a fan of fantasy and do enjoy reading light and slightly trashy novels, especially while waiting for the kids to finish their swimming lessons where I have to look up and smile at them from time to time [​IMG])
    It feels a bit odd reading from the screen at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get used to it really quickly. Roll on Christmas.
    Next step - onto Amazon to buy a case for it. (He'd already spent enough and I want to chose the colour myself).

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Happy Kindling!

(Now try downloading newspapers from calibre!)

8. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

Eeek...haven't got that far yet.
    In fact stumbling at block 2 as cannot decide on which case to get.
    Amazon's cover inc light is a dear do, but looks fab although I have doubts how long the elastic strap would last (especially if my kids get anywhere near it!)
    I am tempted by the ones that encase the Kindle behind a screen cover but don't know whether it would be an annoyance to have to read through.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cover-Up-Amazon-Generation-Wireless-Leather/dp/B00404SABS/ref=sr_1_39?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1289857903&sr=1-39
    Also, I don't know how they are held in at the top. Have visions of picking it up upside down and the thing faling out.

9. I've got a Kindle and LOVE it! So I've just bought one for my husband for Christmas. At the moment I now have two Kindles registered to me. Should I register the second one to my husband? Will we then be able to share books? Or should I keep it registered to me? But then how will he be able to buy books from his amazon account?

Thanks for anyone who can help - I've tried looking on the amazon website but can't make sense of the advice there!

10. I can't wait to get my Kindle.

I've started reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin in hardback and it is 784 pages long and therefore very heavy to pick up in bed! Surely a great reason to get a Kindle before Christmas!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

To share books, the Kindles need to be registered to the same account. So I don't suggest that you have them on different accounts.
    He won't be able to buy books from his account, but he can buy from yours and then pay you back.
    Or pay you beforehand by buying you Amazon gift vouchers, and then when his spend runs out he tops it up again, like a phone.
    Great fun with 2 Kindles!

12. Thank you! So when I buy books, it says transfer to my kindle or my second kindle - does it not matter which one I select? Does it just transfer to both of them?

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, it will only transfer to the one you select. You then go back and click again on the other one. This saves him getting your Mills and Boon . . .
    Why not give them names? WhieRabbit's Kindle for yours, and Hubby's Kindle for his.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And you can now transfer to his all the ones you bought previously.

Just scroll down in Manage Your Kindle, find all your orders, then for each one you want to transfer, just click and select his Kindle.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This weekend's special offers from Amazon Kindle books - each under £1.

Good cheap reads:[​IMG]1. Once Bitten - £0.72Rated 5/5 stars average from 6 reviewsSynopsis: "Jamie Beaverbrook is an English psychologist working for the Los Angeles Police Department. His job - to sort out the insane from the sane, the crazies from the ones who are pretending to be crazy. But Beaverbrook's life is turned upside down one night when the police find a girl crouched over a man with his throat torn out. The girl has blood on her lips but claims she only found the body. Beaverbrook doesn't take long to establish that she's totally sane - but he is forced to face a bigger question. Is she a vampire? And what does she want from him?
    Once Bitten is a fast-paced 73,000 words, about 250 pages."

[​IMG]2. The Basement - £0.72Rated 4/5 stars average from 9 reviewsSynopsis: "A serial killer is torturing and killing women in New York. And two detectives are sure that a writer is behind the murders. But as they close in on their suspect, a woman is being held captive in a basement somewhere in the city. Can they find the killer before the latest victim is killed?
    The basement is a fast-paced novella of 40,000 words, about 120 pages, with a shocking twist in the tail"

[​IMG]3. Remix - £0.86 [PERSONALLY RECOMMENDED]
    Rated 5/5 stars average from 20 reviewsSynopsis: "Caz Tallis restores rocking horses in her London workshop. When shabby but charismatic Joe and his dog turn up on her roof terrace, she is reluctantly drawn into investigating a rock star's murder from three years before - an unsolved case the police have closed. Somebody is prepared to kill to prevent it being reopened - and is Caz's judgment clouding as she falls in love?

REMIX is a feel-good page turner, that you won't want to put down until you reach the satisfying ending."

[​IMG]4. The Abigail Affair £0.69Rated 4/5 stars average from 4 reviewsSynopsis: "Toby Robinson is 22 and broke. He lands a job as junior steward on a Russian billionaire's yacht in the Caribbean, and feels his luck is about to change.It is, but not in the way Toby hoped. On his first night aboard he is framed for a brutal murder.
    His attractive crewmate Julia seems to be the only one on his side. But can he trust her?With his mobile phone confiscated, armed only with a winning smile and a flair for mixing cocktails, can Toby clear his name, stay alive - and foil the sinister international conspiracy that threatens to entangle him?
    It's New Year's Eve and something terrible will take place at midnight. Time is running out, and so are Toby's options ...
    'The Abigail Affair' is a fast-paced suspense thriller with a touch of British humour.
    Length: 105,000 words or about 420 pages. Suggested rating: 15+."

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ozzie papers are *****. Even the Sydney Morning Herald is like something from the 50s.

18. piedwarbler

piedwarbler New commenter

I got my Kindle out at my last reading group get together, and I think half my group were horrified and appalled, and the other half were interested. One person ordered one as a result of what I and other friends of hers have been saying. I think the others might burn me at the stake if I take it to any more meetings.

19. I'm in China
    (mainland) and loving my Kindle! Amazon Kindle offers half a million books but a lot
    are holiday reads. For me, Amazon Kindle needs to offer a quirkier selection of books but I guess
    it'll come soon enough. Presently, I'm reading Stephen Fry's Chronicles. Ordinarily I'd pass on a book after reading it but I definitely wouldn't pass
    on my Kindle!
    Theo, didn't quite get your post on Teaching Overseas about how to downloading papers for free? I've bought newspapers in the past but would love to set up a regular newspaper delivery, thanks in advance for your help.
    Bobby x

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Post 33 above! It is set out in Easy Stages - it's just great.