1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kindle Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, Oct 4, 2010.

1. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Thanks Theo. I was trying to remember how many Kindles you had, but couldn't - but now I understand why! :) they are addictive aren't they? I just wish they had been around when I studied French and English lit in the seventies.

Is there anyway of finding out how much memory you have used up on your Kindle - and when things are archived, do they still take up memory?

Btw mine is a Kindle touch.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

When you put it onto your computer via USB, you can see the Kindle in Windows Explorer. There is also another moment when you press Menu in some mode or other when it comes up top LH of the screen, but I can't remember where. But don'y worry about over-loading it - see below.
    Books that are archived are held on Amazon's computer, so are not taking up space on your Kindle.
    You can get well over 1,000 on the Touch and WiFi Kindles, well over 2,000 on the Kindle Keyboard. I doubt if you'll have too many!
    By the way, if in Amazon Kindle books search on your computer you put in:
    French - Domain (that's a minus sign in the middle),
    then click search, you get all the books in French. apart from the domain books - the 18C ones you read for your Part II Finals. Now having got that list, on the RH side do sort by cheapest first. You'll then get all the French freebies and cheapos. A lot are Harlequin books, but for beach reading they might do you.
    Best wishes

3. Not sure if this is the place to put this, but anyone who hasnt noticed, The Great Gatsby is free at the minute on Amazon!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

.....and is now on my Kindle!...Thanks!
    Loads of 'Classics' are free....don't know how I'd missed this!....maybe it has only recently become free?

5. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Gatsby is also on mine now :) it was a recommended read in one of my magazines but it wasn't free so I didn't bother buying it. I should stop adding books really as I have too many waiting to be read. Doesn't stop me seeing what others I can get for free though now

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Still free this morning! Thank you J00lz. It is important to snap up the freebies asap as sometimes they only last a day.
    Best wishes

7. I've managed to get to grips with my Kindle Touch and download the books off my original Kindle. However, I have also managed to acquire books that I had got rid of from my original Kindle and can't work out how to remove them from the Kindle Touch. The same applies to a book I have just read on it. I can't find the option to archive it.

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Lol I know what you mean! Everything I have read tells me to do a left click or right click and I don't know how to do that on a Kindle Touch.

9. OK -Kindle disaster . It has broken and sounds like it is unrepairable. Which one should i but as I have the original keyboard 3G one. Not sure if having 3G has been worth it. what do you think?

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nightmare situation! [​IMG]
    I used to think that 3G was THE one, and I'm glad that one of mine is. But it's £60 more . . . so I am no longer convinced.
    This might help you:
    Which Kindle?
    Best wishes

11. So I have gone for the 3G touch. I wonder if my old case will fiit or is that more expense!

12. I have just bought a kindle and wondered if you experts could help!!
    1. How do you turn it off?! I have just started charging it on my laptop but the screen is still on.
    2. I do not have wi fi - apparently this is not a problem, I have gone onto Amazon and typed in the serial no to register it but now slightly confused as my laptop says device is not recognised - is this my computer or kindle? I assumed that it would be like using a memory stick and I would simply be able to download books onto amazon and then transfer across - is it more complicated?
    Thanks for any help - I did start going through this thread to see if someone had already answered these but there were an awful lot of pages

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Join the club! There are a lot of happy kindlers here.
    Q1 You don't turn it off. I am assuming that you have the one without a keyboard? It will go into sleep mode on its own.
    Q2 You need to open it up for WiFi at least once to register it properly with Amazon, and for your computer to recognise it therefore. Go and have a coffee at Costa.
    Q3 Yes, you can move bought books across, but first your computer (as well as the Kindle) needs to be registered with Amazon. So download Kindle for PC - this will then register your computer for downloading Amazon books onto the computer. When you buy a book you have to choose Deliver to my . . . and you will choose your computer. It will then ask you which kindle you are going to download to.
    At least it does the latter for me - this may be because I have more than one kindle.
    (Don't ask!).
    Q4 Other books in MOBI format (i.e. ones not bought from Amazon) can be dragged across to the kindle. N.B. for all books that you put on, bought or not, you have to put them in the Documents folder on your kindle.
    You can read the Kindle instructions for more info - you are right that there are too many pages on this thread!
    Best wishes

14. Thanks Theo, sounds like a good reason to go grab a drink out. Feel like I have turned into my parents constantly wondering how to turn gadgets off and finding out they don't!

15. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Theo, in an earlier post on another thread about deleting books, you mentioned to
    make sure you kept these in your library and back it up regularly
    Can you explain to me how I do that? Also, can you use a memory stick to download and transfer books? I have a friend (of a friend) who talks about that but havn't a clue what it all means [​IMG]
    Gremlin, I know what you mean about turning into my parents!!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The reference to deleting books is books that you have NOT bought from Amazon. They keep them all for you in their servers, for you to access any time via the Archive on your kindle.
    But books that you have got elsewhere, for example from here, you need to keep all together on your hard disk - I call it a library because it is a library of e-books. And make sure that you back up your hard disk, or at least that part of it, so that you don't lose them if your hard disk fails.
    Yes, but not books from Amazon, just other books. If someone gives you some free e-books on a memory stick, you can plug the memory stick into your computer, and the kindle too, and then drag them across into the Documents folder of your kindle. Probably best to put them in your library first.
    And remember: MOBI is the format that your kindle can read.
    Happy Kindling!
    Best wishes

17. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Thank you Theo - I understand now! My kindle is the best present Mr.Jo has ever bought for me and I was dead against to begin with, as I love a proper book and thought I'd miss it but quite the opposite!

18. I lent Kindle 1 to my daughter to take on holiday and she is now a convert. Kindle 2 is fully charged and set to go with me. It's a good job we share the same taste in books. It is like having a mini library to choose from while you are away. My OH has packed 3 paperbacks, which take up so much more room.

19. Oh noooooooo!! I was at the gym just now and pressed the wrong button - I think I have deleted the book I was reading and enjoying!! Have had a quick look on Amazon, I am sure it can be recovered but I can't work out how to do it. It is rather unhelpful that I cannot remember its name!! Is there any hope at all?

20. Sorry, [​IMG] I have sorted it out myself. In case anyone is interested, the book is Blood Tears by Michael Malone and I am really enjoying it. A bit gory but I like that kind of thing.