1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kindle Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Lidnod

Lidnod Occasional commenter

Exactly! I was so frustrated reading Feet of Clay on the Kindle that I made the same decision.

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I have been given Amazon vouchers for my birthday so that I can save up towards a Kindle. I think I would like to go for the Kindle Touch.
    I notice that there is also a Kindle power adapter for £12.99. Would I need to buy this too? Is it more usual to charge it up from the pc or do you charge it from the mains like a mobile phone? (Sorry am very ignorant about them but would really like one).
    I thought I would leave cases and accessories for a while to see how I got on with it (am still saving at the moment - not quite enough although am very tempted to make up the difference and go for it).

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

You get the adapter with the Kindle - at least the model that I've got had one in the box. You can either charge it from your computer, or from the mains. The plug bit that goes into the mains socket is removable if you are plugging it into the computer.

4. kittylion

Thanks Cariad.

I think that when I finally get round to ordering I will just order the Kindle itself and see how I go on! Am looking forward to free books and those odd ones I see on Amazon for less than a £1!
    Sorry, but there will probably be LOTS more pestering questions on here before and after I buy it :)

5. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

You don't get a mains power adaptor with the Kindle Touch. Just the cable to link it to the PC. But if you have an ipod/mobile phone charger that you plug the USB cable into an adaptor and then that into the wall you can use that. I use my Samsung mobile phone charger which has the same size end. If you read the reviews of the adaptor people don't rate it very well and say that it is just the plug bit that you need to plug the USB cable into.
    For covers look on ebay or buy one by Lente Designs (available from ebay, amazon and their own website). I got one through them from their website that they called 'rejected and homeless' meaning it had a slight flaw in the fabric, still looks good and does the job well. I had to email them about the touch homeless covers though as they've not put them on to the website yet but said they should be doing it after the summer.

6. My mobile phone charger fit directly into my Kindle, no need to use the USB cable or adaptor. I have only chafged it once that way and it seemed to work fine, hope I have not done something wrong!!

7. kittylion

I've only got an ancient mobile phone, so I doubt that the charger would fit a Kindle.

I had checked again after my last post and I saw that the Kindle Touch didn't come with mains adapter. Still not sure whether I will need one or not - but good news is that I got another birthday card today with another Amazon voucher in it, so will definitely be able to order my Kindle.

I think I will try it without the mains cable first though and see how I get on. Will order a couple of cheapie books too :)

Thanks for all the advice guys - and I will probably be back mithering for more soon ;)

8. And today I retired and one of my presents was a Kindle Touch. Yay! I shall pass my old one on to my OH as he has borrowed it recently to read from. I have had a quick look but have not yet worked out how to even register it yet. Hopefully all my old books should appear when I do so.

9. kittylion

Yay Mammal - on retirement and Kindle Touch! Will all your books be on it if it is registered to you?

I have ordered a couple of cheapo books and am hoping they will be on my Kindle when it arrives - perhaps i should have refrained from ordering until it had arrived.

Still - holiday + retirement + new Kindle = it's got to be good!

10. Thanks Kittylion - I have been shopping today so haven't sorted The Kindle out yet. I think if I register it to the same name and the same account, it will automatically put all my books on from my other Kindle. I downloaded quite a few books from Amazon before my first Kindle arrived and they all were waiting for me when I got it. So have fun and order as many of the freebies as you like. There are lots of the classics free and a list of current free books under best sellers. I always wait until a good number of people have given them good reviews before I download them. Good luck with your KIndle.

11. Well I have managed to register my Kindle and connect the wireless network, but now can't seem to get out of the Kindle shop to see if my previous books from my old Kindle are on it. This Kindle touch seems good, but I think I am missing something so far. I think I shall have to go on Amazon to see how I find my home page.

12. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I did that too when I first got mine Mammal. If you press the raised lines on the front they are your home button and should take you out of the shop and back to your list of books.

13. Thanks - how easy was that, but I totally missed it myself!

14. Morning! It's been so long since I've been on here I've forgotten how to post....
    Anyway, I've managed to start a new topic, instead of adding to this, which is what I meant to do, so sorry, please be patient with my ineptitude!
    I'm very new to kindle, but loving it, and now, for the first time, my battery has died.
    I've manged to lose my kindle charger cable already. Can I use the charger I plug into the wall for my mobile phone to charge it? It has the same teeny-tiny USB on it, or will I damage my kindle??
    I'm off on hols very early tomorrow, so am getting a bit desperate.
    Thanks,
    Drea

15. kittylion

Drea - a couple of people posted earlier in the thread (607/607) saying that they had used their mobile phone chargers for their Kindles so I suppose it's ok.

16. Thanks for the reply kittylion - feel a bit of a nelly managing to lose the thing so quickly - and I hadn't thought of trawling the thread.
    Will look the posts up...
    Thanks!
    Drea

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes that's right, you aren't limited to the Kindle charger.
    And for those of you going to foreign parts where there are no 3 pin sockets like ours, this is a really good buy. It has 2 USB ports, so you can plug in and charge at the same time a tablet (iPad, Samsung Galaxy etc) plus a Kindle or a phone.
    Or a Kindle AND a phone!
    And it has a selection of plugs to fit most countries.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

18. kittylion

Hurray!! My Kindle arrived today - why did I wait so long before I decided to buy one?
    Am reading some Sherlock Holmes now! Have also had a look at some Jane Austen and a couple of whodunnits, but haven't quite worked out how to get back to the beginning of books and negotiate my way round them - no doubt I will do soon - or else I will be back on here mithering.

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done - GREAT news! I just hope that you don't get bitten by Kindlemania like me . . . I feel worse going without my Kindle than without my wallet . . .
    Now you don't say which Kindle you have, but if not the Touch, it will have a Menu button. If it's the one without a keyboard, it's the button that has horizontal lines on it. Push that, and then one choice is GoTo. The keyboard Kindle button actually says Menu.
    Have a Super Kindling Summer!
    Best wishes

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Me too, me too!
    Problem is . . . the money I spend.
    Although I have thousands of boks already, can't resist. Each weekend, for example, I download samples of books that are reviewed in the papers - and then go and buy some! Amazon must know which paper I read by my weekend browsing.
    Mrs TG and I are currently loving The War of TheWives
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes