1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Kindle Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, Oct 4, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here's the thread to post your bargains found, tips, and queries.
    If we all add our tips'n'tricks, and try to answer each other's questions, kindle-life will just get better and better!
    Here's my tip:

The allKindle.co.uk forum is running a competition to win a Cellapod case for your Kindle.

See http://allkindle.co.uk for full details.

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Is that anything like a gastropod?

3. piedwarbler

piedwarbler New commenter

Oh, Nutella, you know you want one! You would love your Kindle if you just tried one!

:)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Er . . . do you actually know Nutella, PW?
    She doesn't even know how to use a mobile phone.

5. piedwarbler

I have read all her posts Theo and I think she secretly wants one very much.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Like a hole in the head!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

At last count I believe that you already had 7, Nutella.

8. piedwarbler

9. piedwarbler

I downloaded a sample of the Booker Prize winner The Finkler Question today.
    That's something the Kindle is very useful for. I recommend it for browsing titles before you buy!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The newspaper had a chunk from the beginning of this and I found it unreadable so I won't be rushing to buy it. I browse in the Sally Army and RSPCA charity shops before I buy and have had some excellent reads that were cheap as chips.

11. piedwarbler

Oh you're right there about The Finkler Question - what on earth did the judges see in it? I enjoyed The Long Song by Andrea Levy, that had my vote. (not that I read any of the other contenders).
    I still buy paper books but think they both have their time and place.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

For some perhaps but not for me!

13. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Can I join please? I get mine today!!!!!! It is in the post office waiting for me to go and collect and pay my duty on (grr).
    Am besides myself with excitement! I have finally found the gurtenberg project website, and can get all my beloved classics free which I paid a fortune for in the UK and had to leave behind. THe only one book I am looking for that I can't find is Juvenal satires so if anyone comes across it please let me know!
    The only downside I can see is that while I am over here I cannot use kindle for PC, but hopfeully that won't be a problem! Fingers crossed. And on the upside, this version now supports Korean characters which is great for my continued quest for learning the language.
    Roll on 8 hours from now, and I will be one happy kindle owner. Cannot wait. Now all I have to do is find the time to read them, but I am sure I can squash that in somewhere. This is the most exciting news in ages.
    Where is Bethannie, does she have hers yet?
    Will keep you updated - and I like the idea of this thread for hints and tips Theo, so once I have some some I will contribute.
    Roll on 8 hours from now. [​IMG]

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's in PDF format, so to read in comfort you need to convert to MOBI.
    http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows
    Download calibre and do it with that. You can also use calibre to download and convert to MOBI the daily news fromhalf a dozen UK newspapers, or the BBC. Free, although you pay for the Times.

16. dominant_tonic

Theo, you are amazing! Thank you so much! I love Juvenal, it is my need a wry chuckle after a bad day book. Amazing how society never changes. Will download calibre and sort that out as well. Thank you so much.
    I have it - it is charging as we speak! However I meeting at 8 os can't play with it yet! But all work prepped for tomorrow, so any time after meeting is mine, and I don't start work until 11 tomorrow :)
    Lots of kindle play time!
    Cannot wait.
    Will report back.

17. dominant_tonic

Question - how do I put numbers in? my password has a number so can't register it lol.
    Please tell me, though meeting now, so will check in later.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You push ALT and at the same time one of QWERTYUIOP
    Q = 1 W =2, etc
    It's easy to get used to it.
    And if you need @ or # or + you go to the SYM key and it opens up some choices like onmy mobile phone.
    Happy Kindling!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am indeed truly mortified to be missing these ancient delights. How he would have larfed to think he was on a machine.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Juvenal, I mean.