1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Killing, Channel4.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by annie2010, Jul 8, 2011.

1. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Has anyone watched this?
    Apparently, it's based on a Danish series-which I have not seen.
    This new series is excellent; not at all like the typical U.S. 'cop show'. It has that air of gloomy foreboding and even the area where it's filmed seems to have grim, rainy weather.
    Watched the first two episodes last night, and I'm definitely hooked. The storyline has many threads, almost like a novel.That's Thursday nights' viewing sorted for the next few months.

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oooh, I was thinking about watching it but wasn't sure.
    I'll definitely give it a go now. Thanks.

3. I watched an hour, but wasn't hooked and turned over to Mock the Week. It seemed a little dull. Deliberately low-key

4. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

I shall be watching it to the end and thought it was good but....... I honestly thought I had good hearing (never have problems with things on TV normally) but hubby and I watched it with the subtitles on because there were some actors (lead actors) who neither of us could understand. Without the subtitles we'd have lost the plot - literally!
    Bring back Cheryl Cole........

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I watched 3/4 of the original Danish one with subtitles (have the others on the box to finish). Watched the new one too. I think the Danish one is even darker but they could be because of the alien language making it seem more unreal to me. Am struggling to get into the characters in the remake as the original casting was good and they seem to have stuck in my mind. The female detective in particular seems wrong. It is still a lot better than most of the dross on the box tho.

6. I watched it and really enjoyed it. I was supposed to be having an early night but that didn't happen because I got sucked in. A friend recommended the Danish version to me but I'd missed too many episodes to catch up and it's no longer available on iplayer.

7. Watched most of the first episode but it is a pale imitation of the Danish original which was superb. The slow, guttural language and the miserable dark of a Copenhagen winter gave it a special edge. The actors who played the parents were just brilliant: the acting so measured and powerful. Empathising was easy.
    I kept comparing the characters in the American version to the ones from the other. Some just don't measure up.
    The original was highly rated and declared to have been the best thing on television this year - which wouldn't be difficult, tbh.