1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The junior doctors' strike

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Feb 10, 2016.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

As I write, the junior doctors have gone on strike today and firstly just to say I fully support them.

I have just seen a junior doctor on Breakfast TV very clearly explain what it is all about. It is clearly not about providing a better or more effective NHS, but simply yet another NHS bashing exercise by the Nasty Party and machismo man, Jeremy Hunt. Personally, I think their aim is to put the NHS under such stress and strain in the hope that it will eventually fold up and fall into the clutches of private medicine, rather like Gove had a go at us in education.

The doctor on the TV put it very simply. At present we have a 5 day elective NHS service and a 7 day emergency service. What Hunt is attempting to do is to fit a 7 day elective service and 7 day emergency service into the existing 5 day elective and 7 day emergency service. Worse still, what he has left out of equation is that a 7 day elective service will require not just the junior doctors, but all the nurses, admin, porters, technicians and a multitude of support staff essential to operating an elective service, but presently not needed over the weekend when only emergencies are dealt with. No mention of these people at all. So effectively the overall budget for the NHS has to stretch that much further. It is effectively a day to day cut in budget. That is why the junior doctors say it is unsafe.

Hunt has been disgraceful in his conduct over this issue, blatantly misquoting data and statistics, BSing on the TV to say how dreadful the doctors are being over this, and to undermine the NHS and its workers.

Well Jeremy ( I can call you Jeremy can't I? It is so much preferable to *unt!) I have rumbled you because I have seen it all before from your Nasty Party. You are out to make a fundamental change in our society where those who have the money can access the essentials of life like health and education. Those who don't have the money -- well it is their fault, isn't it! And in any case they don't vote for you anyway.

Noja, kibosh, JL48 and 8 others like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

seems a fair summary

3. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

If the Department of Health had just given them the money they asked for it could all have been settled by now.

viceroy and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  4. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

I support them totally. The best of the best and this is how they are treated? Disgusting.

TCSC47 likes this.
  5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I work in a hospital and I support them. They are already overworked as it is. The other week I watched one junior dr, a grown man about 27/28 years old put his head in his hands and sob with the stress he was under. Every single patient on my ward have supported the strikes, even those who have had to have their procedures delayed. They see how stretched the service is, in a way that Jeremy and his cronies will never see from their private hospital beds. Our trust is one in financial crisis and in the last couple of weeks we haven't even had enough bed linen and continence pads, you know basic care stuff, let alone money for extra staff.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I don't think it is really the money that is what the junior doctors are after even though the doctors would appear to earn only about 5% more than teachers at the same stage of their career. However, they certainly feel that Hunt is trying to pull a fast one over on them in that his proposals will effectively be a decrease in salary.

And in any case, health isn't the sort of job you go into if you are motivated by money. Rather like education. And there is part of the answer. Hunt has vastly upset pretty much the whole of the NHS rather like Gove did to us. They know he is really out to dismantle the NHS and I think the doctors are actually trying to put down a marker of some sort. Gove had become toxic at the Ministry of Education just as Hunt has in Health. Mark my words, he will be gone from Health come the next election.

However, the Nasty Party will feel Hunt has done his job if in the process of denying adequate funding and resources to the NHS and then blaming the NHS for the fallout, he has managed to destabilise it enough for his lot to claim that only private medicine can now do the job. What a nasty piece of work all round!

7. FritzGrade

They have said they would have settled if they had got the money they asked for.

8. FritzGrade

Right. 100k in your 30s isn't motivating.

viceroy likes this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not sure that is entirely true for pupils going into medicine.

10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

So according to you, all Doctors in their 30s are on over £100,000 a year?

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
    Noja likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I know a Junior Doctor in his 30s. I'll message him and let him know he's on £100K. He'll like that.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  12. FritzGrade

I didn't say all as is quite clear. When you are 18 it's what you aim for. Same with dentists. Is there any motivation to be dentist apart from money and attendant status.

13. FritzGrade

What's the average at 35? Perhaps your friend is less successful than he hoped he might be.

viceroy likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

27 million... o_O

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I can never hear Jeremy Hunt's name without thinking of the James McNaughtie spoonerism on Radio 4.

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's certainly what I see in the pupils who leave my school to go into medicine or dentistry. The status and career path is a big part of it,considering a fair few do come from families with at least one doctor if not more.

17. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

It seems a very simple issue. If you cut through all the misinformation and BS, the Tory aim is to have a 7 day elective Health service (very popular and laudable) but do not want to pay the extra staff needed to run it properly so the answer is to work the existing staff to death. Simples. It is patently unreasonable of the Doctors not to want to be worked to death.

bombaysapphire and viceroy like this.
  18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And like we are constantly told about Bankers, you have to pay premium to get the best. Now do I want a good banker or a good doctor? And in any case almost anybody can count money! And it is the most accurate use of Cockney rhyming slang I have ever come across.

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

No, the Doctors strike is all about Hunt p1ss1ng off the workers of the NHS and aliening them. He has succeeded well in that task.