1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The joy of sourdough

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 18, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. I can't understand why some people are almost afraid of bread-making!
    I make a type of soda bread when milk goes on the turn - well it's better than chucking the milk!
    And sour-dough is fantastic. If you make some, remember to keep back some of the dough - a piece to start of your next batch, and one to give your neighbour. (It's traditional - you give them some to start of a batch of bread...they then gove some to their neighbour et.c)

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

First attempt at sourdough making went very well a few weeks back. Still got the leaven in the fridge. Will get it out tomorrow and attempt to revive it in time for more baking with it on the weekend - apparently within 3 days of 'feeding' it will be ready to go again, after a fortnight of laying dormant - anyone had any experience of this, specifically?
    Have been using the wonderful The Handmade Loaf by Dan Lepard which I got for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1845333896/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1840009667&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=01Q68FSAN9C15EH1DWPT
    He's got lots of yeast breads in there as well, which suits mid-week baking better, so have been working through these and so haven't bought any bread for about 3 weeks. I already did a perfectly respectable white loaf, wholemeal and soda too, but this book has expanded my range a great deal already and I've barely scratched the surface. His 'no knead' method is interesting to say the least, and it actually works, despite my many misgivings. Highly recommended.
    What I really don't understand is why people will use a breadmaker yet never try to make bread by hand. Where's the fun in that?? Plus the texture always seems too cakey, at least in the ones I've sampled.

4. I love Dan Lepard's recipes - although I was dubious of the "no knead" method at first, but it does work.
    I still prefer a good knead though - I find it very therapeutic.
    I always have some sour dough mix in - typically German. You can keep it dormant for ages (in the fridge) and then take it out and add some more flour and water and it will start fermenting again.
    My favourite bread is spelt bread - but then I am nuts about spelt anyway, as regular posters may remember [​IMG]

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Is there another way to spell it?

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Yep, I agree.

7. Yes - Dinkel [​IMG]
    And the unripe form I cook with is Grünkern [​IMG]