1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The joy of moving house

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 1, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I know someone who is house hunting. Their own house isn't on the market yet because they are worried about not finding what they want - a recipe for disappointment imo but I understand why. They saw something online they were interested in yesterday but have been told the vendor is only letting people view who have their houses on the market.
    When we were selling I'd have pulled anyone in off the street to look at my house. We certainly had ours on the market before we started looking but i understand why someone would want to hold back and think it is just daft not to let them have a look.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would agree with you. It doesn't take long to put a house on the market, it is getting an offer that can take time. A house can be on the market for years if the asking price is unrealistic.

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

You're in a better position to haggle if you've got an offer on your own house though and things can proceed quicker.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I agree with the vendor because they are just 'carpet treaders' ie just having a look and in no position to buy. An utter waste of time for the vendor. It might take your friend a year or more to sell her house, so anything she did fancy would be long gone. We're putting our house on the market next year and I wouldn't go to the trouble of tidying up for people who haven't even got theirs up for sale. Tbh, I'd only want viewers who had an offer on their property. It's stressful enough!

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I did it that way. Same as stated in the OP. There was only one house I wanted. Only come round if you're serious.

Mind you, the estate agent was fairly motivated. It was the boss's house I was buying (for quite a wedge) so they were fairly keen to get my old one sold.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When we bought ours last year, the developer would only consider prospective purchasers whose properties were under offer, or already sold.

We had a rubbish agent, (recommended) part of a large chain, who was completely useless. Sacked them, without the required notice because they had been so poor and went with a local small one. Much better!

I wouldn't dream of looking until there was some certainty regarding the selling process. After all, inconvenient though it is, you can sell and rent and that puts you in a good position to buy.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Why is 'joy' not in inverted commas????

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Apparently the sellers are getting a divorce and this might be affecting their attiude to selling. Nightmare!. We looked round a house where the person in residence obviously didn't want to move out so slagged off the neighbourhood. Saw another house where the woman simply told us she had no intention of moving out. We also thought we'd sold a flat to a woman getting a divorce and she had the temerity to reconcile with her husband.
    I absolutely agree foxtail that I wouldn't look seriously until I'd got an offer on my house but these people don't want to do that. If they did like the house they would immediately go on the market and then hope to get a buyer in time. The chances of it working out are minimal doing it that way I think but I still think they should be able to view a house that is on Rightmove.
    There wasn't a board up when I drove past earlier - I don't think the current resident wants to move out.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Actually when we were looking to move last year we looked before we put our own house on the market. The conditions in the two areas were very different. In our new location houses were sticking around for months, but we were living, at the time, in a hot spot. We had engaged an estate agent who was ready to 'go' as soon as we gave the word.

We viewed the house we eventually bought and agreed a price with the condition that the house was 'held' for us for one month. They would be free then to put it back on the market and we would have to take the risk that someone else would come along and put in a better offer or be in a position to proceed. Their estate agent spoke to ours to confirm that we were indeed likely to sell quickly.

Two weeks later, after one open day, we had sold ours and the deal was completed.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

So it can work. Personally i don't think it's the right house for them anyway - but i'm keeping that opinion to myself.;)

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I moved out into the countryside in February 2014.

It's brilliant! I expect I'll have the place straight by February 2016.

Moving was very easy because I started boxing stuff up years previous.

Still got to get the books out.

But meanwhile:

12. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Make sure you know exactly what sorts of tricks estate agents can pull (some do, some don't) before even asking for that "free" evaluation. You can find yourself in a lot of difficulty with some of their practices, and also out of pocket. They can make you reduce the asking price, and note that in some cases the commission the agent receives comes from listing your property rather than selling it. Estate agents don't have the reputation that have for no reason. You have been warned!