1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The job didn't get me!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I too want you to realise you've done nothing wrong. As others have said, any interview is a two-way process.
    I too have withdrawn from a post in the past but taught my lesson and feel it was right to teach your lesson and feel sure will stand you in good stead that you were so honest.
    Best of luck with your next application.

2. Thank you Theo and Lara :)
    I know it wasn't wrong and that the school wouldn't want anyone who wasn't totally enthusiastic about them- but it should be noted that I have a guilt complex large enough to claim its own postcode. :p
    I really thanked my background as a cover supervisor today- I'm not sure I could have adapted quite so quickly to a mix up in classes I was meant to teach (I'd been told I'd have an able set and wound up with a class of weak ability and entirely SEN) if I'd not spent a year as a CS, especially as I've not taught in over two months (I've only just started my second placement).
    I spoke to my dad about it and he pointed out that a few years ago I would (and HAVE done, though in a different industry) have taken a job that was wrong for me just because I felt I should take a job that was offered. Apparently, I'm finally growing a spine! (It is a compliment, honest! I'm a TOTAL wuss when it comes to letting people down. I'm just glad no one's ever asked me for a kidney!)

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I have also withdrawn from a school. I felt guilty as the Head and his Deputy just couldn't have been nicer, but the department was an absolute shambles (it was for a second i/d position) and I just couldn't have worked with the HOD. She was showing me up to the classroom I was going to teach at and stopped on the stairs to gossip about one of the other candidate's outfits on the way!
    (To be fair the other candidate did look terrible, but still!)
    Like you I knew then it wasn't for me. I taught my lesson but did an awful job at it as my heart just wasn't in it. The kids were really sullen and unco-operative too!

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

This is spot on. The job situation is hard but the added pressure of being is a school that isn't for you is even harder. Trust your instincts.
    Good on you for teaching the lesson and I hope the next one is more your kind of place xx