1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Japanese kids' lunch boxes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Dec 11, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16069217
    The article is about the presentation of the food in the lunch boxes and the lengths that parents go to to achieve it. I'm astonished at how it all remains intact until lunchtime.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16069217
    The article is about the presentation of the food in the lunch boxes and the lengths that parents go to to achieve it. I'm astonished at how it all remains intact until lunchtime.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Wow, they look wonderful...but what a lot of effort!!!

4. amazing. The mothers have too much time on their hands! mostly healthy food from what I could see. Rice and seaweed.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

There is a Japanese boy in our school whose lunches always look amazing. Not to the extent of the ones in this film, but still very carefully prepared - all sushi based. All veg based sushi as it's got to sit around for a few hours before lunch so fish raw or cooked isn't ideal!
    A fair variety though, all freshly prepared and all very precise and delicate. I keep hoping he'll offer me some, but as yet he hasn't!

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

To me this is even more ridiculous that Annabel Karmel's fascination with making food into smily faces or butterflies for children. I just don't know why any sensible adult would make food into toys or cartoon characters...

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I quite agree. D's mum has mentioned a few times the idea of making M's food into exciting shapes, such as dinosaur sandwiches etc. I've told her we won't be doing that! I think it does more harm than good - rather than get children into the idea of enjoying food for what it is, it sells them the idea that food must be entertaining in order for it to be good.
    Parties are the place for this sort of thing; it shouldn't be seen every day.
    Although, let's be honest - kids aren't as daft as some adults think they are. I remember eating smiley face potatoes and various daftly shaped tinned pasta as a child. Did I think it was fun and exciting? I'm pretty sure I didn't really give a sh*t.

8. [​IMG]

Er.....................

OK confession

I have a bento box, and onigiri and egg molds, and er............ yes I do use them. Not every day, but I do and er.............. I don't have kids.